Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New tower speakers - Now named Tre Stemmes

Comments

• edited August 2022

It's nice to work with real wood vs PB and even worse MDF.

The rest of the enclosures are PB, so lots of work ahead to seal and fill the end grain and seams before priming and painting. I want to do something with a little stipple but not the basic black Duratex. Maybe something in the dark gray family.

• kenrhodesSteve_Leesquamishdroc6thplanetSilver1omougly_wooferGeoffMillartajanesTurn2Nicholas_23and 1 other.
  • They look good in the sun 👍👍

• Nice🤘🏼

• Nice, all Peerless. Might consider peel and stick veneer for the sides then gray stain or paint.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Better than nice: lovely!

How do they sound, would love to do something similar!

Bravo

Geoff

• Looking great Craig!

• @GeoffMillar said:
    Better than nice: lovely!

How do they sound, would love to do something similar!

Bravo

Geoff

Geoff,

At this point I only have a crossover simulated from my inbox measurements. Luckily I have all the components to build the prototype xo's as well as tweek them, so no worries regarding out of stock inductors :) Hopefully have something to listen to this weekend.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Looking great Craig!

You'll hear these in Iowa Ed, with or without paint/veneer on the boxes ;)

Silver1omokenrhodes
  • edited August 2022

Had my first listen to these. Some initial comments:

Woofers: incredible bass from $26, stamped steel frame, 6.5" woofers. Yes they need a bit of breathing room but wow! Simulated F3 around 34 Hz and they sound like it. Can get as loud as I will ever listen and they don't fall apart.

Midrange: What? An under $20 driver? You bet! And they sound great. Super smooth and very good detail. Of course they don't have SS Revelator detail but they sound just as good as many high dollar drivers I've heard or used.

Tweeters: Said it before, I love these tweeters regardless of their $28 price. They simply do everything right and nothing wrong if you cross them correctly.

I still have many hours of listening/voicing to do but I doubt I will make much more than a 1 ohm change here or there. I look forward to getting everyone's listening impressions at the next two DIY get togethers.

• Value!

I already have the mid and bass (well, the SDS160 looks pretty much the same spec wise and sounds pretty good) and just have to get the tweeters, which are available in Oz.

Geoff

• Geoff, I will gladly share my design with you. I'll post more info after I spend some time voicing them. In about a month around 40 or so other DIY folks will have heard them and can weigh in on their merits and short comings.

• "Shortcomings"? What shortcomings!

If these sound anything like your Zenvos they'll be brilliant!

Thank you

Geoff

• Looking forward to the name of these speakers, other than "New Tower Speakers".

• Naming speaker projects is definitely not my forte. I'm open to suggestions though.

• These might be a bit silly, but here goes:

• Truncated Scandinavians
    • Stella Bellas
    • Bangfers (as in 'bang for buck)
    • Zenvos XL

Geoff

• Tre Stemmers - Danish for three voices.

• @Tom_S said:
    Tre Stemmers - Danish for three voice

Ménage à trois . . .

6thplanet
  • edited September 2022

Tom for the win! I love it. They shall be called:

Tre Stemmes

Which is pronounced "tray steams"

• I was going to suggest calling them Face Punchers, but it looks like you’ve already landed on a name.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I have 4 of those drivers behind me, could you send me your measurements?

• @dcibel said:
    I was going to suggest calling them Face Punchers, but it looks like you’ve already landed on a name.

Well, it would need to be Danish for Face Punchers to sound more exotic.

dcibel
  • I really like Ménage and the all innuendo that might go along with it, but Google is telling me it just means Household.

• Great project, BTW. I've always been a fan of Peerless drivers. I'm looking forward to hearing them in October!

• @Tom_S said:
    I really like Ménage and the all innuendo that might go along with it, but Google is telling me it just means Household.

In America we call it a poly triad.

I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:

@dcibel said:
    I was going to suggest calling them Face Punchers, but it looks like you’ve already landed on a name.

Well, it would need to be Danish for Face Punchers to sound more exotic.

Ha, of course…the internet didn’t give me a direct translation for puncher, but face punch translates to Ansigt Slag.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Gonna have some more free time this weekend to do more critical listening, small voicing changes, etc. In all honesty, these will most likely show up in Grand Rapids and Ankeny with no finish on the boxes. It's getting busier at work and I'm starting to shift my interest to my new Indy theme project. I got a bad case of the DIYADD 😏

Billetugly_wooferDanP
  • Fresh coat of Duratex to finish off the enclosures:

6thplanetjhollanderSteve_Leeugly_woofertajanesGeoffMillarS7910