Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• seems like smonething that would be easy to print with a 3d printer.
  • ani_101 said:
    what are those plastic thingies called that we can put in the speaker screw holes and keep the drivers upside down? and where can i get them?
    They're probably called standoffs but I don't see anything like them in a quick Google. How many do you need? I have a small collection. Something that would probably work are nylon wall anchors. They come in a variety of sizes and you could set the height of the standoff by using whatever length of screw you wanted.

Ron
  • I have a bunch of them, how many do you want?
  • For maybe 3-4 pairs of Drivers. I have a Quad of drivers that I wanted to use for a Project, when I measured all of them, I notice one of them was a bit off from the others. on further inspection, it seem the cone has sagged a bit more than the other three and if affected the efficiency and FS. Through in a box it would be fine, but Just wanted to keep a few drivers upside down. Have quite a few drivers for which there are no boxes...

Will look into the Golf Tees
  • After you push the nylon standoffs on & off several times, the nylon wears down and then the standoffs fall out when you pick up the driver. 
  • Golf tee's... brillant idea!
  • Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp is on the way.  Should mate up nicely with their Modi dac and hd6xx phones.  Boy is now set with some serious head tunes.     
    ani_101
  • The RS52F is $30, the HiVi 8" LK is $100, and the NE25VTS is $20 on flash sale. Not too much else to be excited about unless you are shopping for Ultimax subwoofers. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    The RS52F is $30, the HiVi 8" LK is $100, and the NE25VTS is $20 on flash sale. Not too much else to be excited about unless you are shopping for Ultimax subwoofers. 
    Yeah, they are cleaning out the UM subs in preparation for their rumored "double UM" subs. They seem to have a handle on engineering subwoofers, no sure of their other high end drivers.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • What?  No love for the Velleman LED Christmas tree kit?  LOL
  • PWRRYD said:
    What?  No love for the Velleman LED Christmas tree kit?  LOL
    I bought that for my adult son one year.  He enjoyed putting it together and got compliments at work from the other engineers.  I've been looking for another kit, the Riding Santa is meh for $30.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • 20% off with code SAVE2020 at Newark.  
  • edited December 2019
    Building a pair of Pico for the nephew's Christmas present so picked up one of those cheap fx202a amps and a pair of Dynalab v22-dr 8" for $9.98 to make the free $49 s&h.  Not the latest or greatest driver and I don't see much info on them, but other than UPS beating the $hit out of the box and denting the outer rim, they look rather nice. I'm thinking cheap 2-way.  Would PE replace something that is damaged by UPS?  

Cold right out of the box maybe it will improve with some break-in.

• Why would you ask PE to cover damage they did not do?
  • Although PE cannot control the circumstances beyond their premises, as a responsible retailer who's vast majority of business is compromised of internet sales that must be shipped to the end customer, they should anticipate the rigors of shipping and pack the customer's parts accordingly.  They packed these parts in a box that is much too large for 4 items and with insufficient packing to stabilize the contents within the box.  While the small amp is rather light and well protected in its original packing, the drivers are by far the heaviest object in the box and they were only protected with a single layer of cardboard with one piece of tape holding the cardboard over the drivers.  Think of a couple heavy rocks in a cigar box being shaken and you get the idea.  It's not PE's fault some neanderthal at UPS had a bad day, but they do have a responsibility, within reason, of ensuring the customer receives their parts unscathed.  On past orders, PE did a better job of packing.                     
  • edited December 2019
    I see.  My last shipment from PE was a sheet of sonic barrier with two close out Usher woofers, and they were loosely packaged like you say. The Usher boxes were very beat up.  I was surprised PE would do such a poor job of packaging.  I thought about contacting them about it, but did not.  Ya, if your woofer was damaged because of this I would contact them.  I believe they will make good on it, based on my experience with them. 
  • Most vendors have shipping insurance for damages during shipping. You would need to cancel then and tell them the packages were damaged, most cases they will replace or refund. If you notice the outer box is very badly damaged you may choose to not accept delivery and send it back, but with most items begging not requiring a signature it is not possible or the outer box will have the usual dented corner and not much else. I once had order some CDs and some books, they were just put in a box with no other packing material. The outer shipping box was fine, but all the CDs boxes were cracked, the vendors replaced the cracked damamaged CDs, so please check with them.

Also for claiming shipping insurance, the sender needs to open the claim, even though you as the recipient might be paying for it.

• edited December 2019
    If those were the 8945, I really wanted some but the finances were just not there.  Sucks being poor. 

Going to break this pair of Dynalab closeouts in and remeasure.  Maybe that wrinkle around 600-800 might smooth out?  Thinking these might make a sweet ht setup with mtm mains and tm surrounds.  Might stock up on a few.     
  • edited December 2019
    They are the 8836AC.  

What do you have in mind for the HF with the Dynalab woofs?
  • Well, I let my eyes override common sense. While the Dynalabs look nice, they model like poop.  Eventually, I'll get around to roughing in a box and get some real measurements and let that determine the next move.  They still might make a decent pair of cheap speakers.     
  • edited December 2019
    The HiVi dome midrange is on sale for $20 right now. Add $10 worth of other stuff to get free shipping. Not sure there is a better bang/buck in midrange drivers at normal pricing, $20 is a helluva bargain.

https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-dmb-a-2-fabric-dome-midrange--297-716
    I have a signature.
  •  Might be a good candidate for midbass in a sealed HT speaker. I read .75 CuFt sealed for an f3 of 58Hz? Should go pretty loud with 5mm Xmax and the usual HT receiver HP filter engaged. If the top end is smooth enough and the cone deep enough, I would be temped to try a quasi coax design by hanging a small tweeter in front of it on a stick.
  • Don't discount how good a F3 in the high 50's/low 60's with a somewhat shallower rolloff and a slightly peaky (Q of ~0.9-1.0) can sound. In these days of 5-6" drivers capable of ported 40Hz I think we often forget sealed options. 

I have received compliments on the bass in those little Radio Shack based 3-ways, the modeled F3 is right around 63Hz, with a Q of 1.0 . Similarly, the bass performance seemed to impress most listeners of the Cabrini, and F3 was around 70 in those. 

In my opinion, a squat 1 cubic foot enclosure utilizing that buyout woofer along with something like the GRS sealed back mid and a decent tweeter will likely yield surprisingly good results. You can go with a nice full range driver for the midrange duties, with added complexity in cabinet construction. The Dayton PC83, HiVi C3N, or Dayton DSA90 would all likely work very well in such an arrangement. The Peerless DX20 would be a nice small form factor tweeter. Could be a very fun design that punches above its price. 
    I have a signature.
  • May order a few more.  Gotta get these Pico finished up before Christmas.  Been prepping them for paint for over a week.  I completely suck when it comes to working bondo!    
  • Good price on the 2" Precision Port today. 
    I have a signature.
  • I just ordered a pair of the HiVi domes.  I see a budget 3-way in the future.

Ron
  • I think everyone should, and we can have a battle of the budget 3-ways at Iowa2020
    hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Got the Pico finished just in time for tomorrow's activities.  It amazes me how much sound and how good a simple little driver like this can sound especially considering there is no crossover.  

kenrhodes
  • jr@mac said:
    I think everyone should, and we can have a battle of the budget 3-ways at Iowa 2020
    +1
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails