Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• PWRRYD said:
    Wow, 2 day sale!  I'm never one to push my designs but the ND90-8 is on sale for $14.98.  If someone wants to build Paul C.'s Sprite or a soundbar like mine....

Also the truncated RS150 for <$25!
    Hmm, so 6x RS150 = $125, plus a number of tweeters for $25, kickass little tower for $300 in drivers. Just sayin'
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • 6 RS150's per side?  MTMWWWW?
  • edited January 2020
    PWRRYD said:
    6 RS150's per side?  MTMWWWW?
    Yep, made one a few years ago with buyout Peerless SDS 6 inchers. woohoo!

squamishdroc
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited January 2020
    On the subject of the nd90-8, is it more than the ns3 performance wise?  Madisound has the black ns3 for $13.

One of these days I'll build a mini-me set of those Peerless towers.   

• Kornbread, all of my experiance is that they are identical twins.  Great little driver.
  • I've used both, but the ND90 has had an update/ revision a few years ago.  Back then I thought the NS3s had the edge on bass and the ND90 on top end.  Not sure today
    PWRRYDrjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Not PE DOTD but did anyone see that Madisound has the SB12CAC25-08 on sale for $44.00!
    Nicholas_23
  • PWRRYD said:
    Not PE DOTD but did anyone see that Madisound has the SB12CAC25-08 on sale for $44.00!
    Wow, outstanding. Haven't seen too many builds with the 12CAC, but considering that the 15CAC is getting rave reviews, might have to pull the cord on a quad...
  • I love my SB15CAC drivers.  I just Unibox modelled the SB12CAC drivers with factory specs and they look great for a small two way with maybe a ribbon or planar.  They won't dig to mid 30's but hey, 50ish ain't shabby for a driver this size.  If I didn't have so many drivers already and so little time I'd scoop up a quad of these for a MTM. 
  • You mean these?

DanPjholtzrjj45PWRRYDS79104thtrysquamishdrocThumperTom
  • Beauty and performance for sure, my friend!
  • edited January 2020
    Bought a pair of these for a friend's project, and they seem to live up to the published FR graph.
    Decent build quality, stamped frame not too thin, pretty attractive cosmetics.
    Popped one in a 4 liter ported box, and it seems to have a decent low end and smooth through the midrange, possibly a bit higher. Now contemplating a line array. Aware of the shading and power response issues, but with a min-dsp or possibly the PE /Sure dsp gizmos, should be not a heavy slog. Any thoughts?
    https://www.parts-express.com/4-treated-paper-cone-woofer-16-ohm--299-320
  • 20% off at Newark this week.

Ron

• Does anyone have any initial thoughts on the new $4 buyout "subwoofer" at PE.

• Looks like about $4. This is what you get when your TV comes with a subwoofer.
    PWRRYD
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • If they match the specs listed... They could be fun in multiples.
  • It's essentially a TB subwoofer in a 4x6" package. I'm entertaining getting a quad.
  • curiosity got the best of me , purchased 4 . Might make for a decent BT build?
  • A little 3/4" voice coil.
  • edited January 2020
    I looked at its specs for a moment, ran a super quick Unibox model, then said to myself, "Self, you have way too many really great drivers on your shelf and a limited amount of time to be dicking around with high Q $4 plastic drivers".  YMMV
    rjj45
  • PWRRYD said:
    I looked at its specs for a moment, ran a super quick Unibox model, then said to myself, "Self, you have way too many really great drivers on your shelf and a limited amount of time to be dicking around with high Q $4 plastic drivers".  YMMV
    I feel you Craig, and I'll probably follow your lead, but man that Vd/$ ratio is pretty versatile.
  • I dunno, several of those and one of those newfangled DSP enabled Dayton amp modules would probably make for a pretty sick desktop bass module. 

In all reality, they were likely heavily EQ'd in the "high end" soundbar they were designed for. This day and age, focusing on traditional T/S parameters might not be the most effective method. Hell, 16 of these and one of the smaller Yung amps would probably make a really cool bass array - if not exactly sweet looking. 

If I was not busy packing, I would give these some serious thought. They have a lot of excursion, the tinsel leads are opposed (which even a lot of high dollar drivers have strangely not adopted), the cone looks to have some kind of engineered shit happening - maybe added mass - and the basket is not a piece of shit thin stamped steel. It is a ton of driver for $4. Small sealed box of around 0.7 cubic feet, add a 70-100W plate amp. It could be build low profile enough to be a TV stand, rear fire the little subs and get a pretty honest 45Hz nearfield bass. Turn the desktop into part of a horn and I bet high 30's would not be out of the realm of possibility.

This really models well if you have at least four of them. 

Funky project, for sure, but 
    Nicholas_23R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • OK, since some DSP these days can be pretty cheap, I played with WinISD for a bit... Man, I needed this break.

15L, default WinISD sealed box settings.

100W input power.

Add 50Hz 2nd BW 2nd order lowpass filter.

Add peaking second order highpass with 6db gain centered at 30Hz.

Add a notch centered at 60Hz with a gain of -3db. 

In one half cubic foot, four $4 drivers you get F3 of 30Hz, max output of 93db in 2PI space (a desk will be close to that if it is near a wall), no excursion issues, and the amp runs out of steam about the time the voice coils hit their rated thermal handling. Add a few watts per side for some 2.5 or 3" wide rangers and I doubt you will do better for this kind of project. I envision this for a desktop, so I would explore the DSP options along those lines. Give up a few Hz extension and eliminate the notch filter. That will gain some output, but F3 goes to the ~38Hz range. For music, probably worth adding that 3db back in. 

Cut the boost at 30Hz and the F3 goes to 45Hz, still not bad for the money. The peak SPL, however, goes to almost 100db at 60Hz - and still no excursion/thermal issues! Not bad at all. If you need a wide range desktop soundbar solution - hell, build the desktop out of this enclosure - I doubt you will find a better driver. 

Hell, lets pretend you build a one cubic foot desktop and embed four of these in there.... With no filtering but the same 50Hz low pass, the F3 is now 38Hz, peak SPL is 103db, excursion is right at rated Xmax, and we are still at the thermal limits. You could add some raised panels to the front edge of the 5.5" high enclosure to emulate drawers, fire the drivers out the back, set a pair of slender wide range (with a modeled top end of 75Hz in this alignment, a high Q sealed satellite would likely do the trick) on top. The more I think about it, the better this type of design sounds. 

kenrhodesNicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • I have 4 here I will see if I can break them in tonight, measure them tomorrow. Ugly buggers.
  • jr@mac said:
    Just ordered a pair, obviously I'm an idiot. 
    JR, did you ever receive and/or test the Tang Band W6-1914SB?
  • I did, they are ok. Mids only.
    I have a signature.
  • DATS what you wanted DATS what you get.  =)
    DanPPWRRYD4thtry
  • edited February 2020
    PE has the drivers for the Dayton powered subs on "buyout" right now. $30/$40/$50/$60 for the 8/10/12/15 respectively. 

High Qts, no advertised Xmax. Not entirely sure where the benefit is over the GRS subs, to be honest. Come on, PE.
    I have a signature.
  • Last day of PE's presidents day sale - 10% off everything and free shipping on orders of $49.  Use code 10PREZ.

Ron