Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    I heard a rumor from a reliable source that the company has changed hands. Not sure what else is happening with the drivers. 

Motus or Wavecor?  Maybe that would explain why the Wavecor drivers keep going extinct. 
  • Esoteric ES180TiA the DOD, I liked what I heard in Dan Primosa, but it was the previous version and a couple of years back. Thinking of spending some cash that I don't have. Anyone with any more in-depth opinion or experience with these? Do these need a lot of convulated XO massaging for a 2k XO or smooth enough? Three way bottom like Rick Craig's design would be great, but 2k XO suitability?
  • Looking pretty hard at that 4" buyout for a line array.  Thinking 12 per side plus tweeters.
  • Kornbread said:
    jr@mac said:
    I heard a rumor from a reliable source that the company has changed hands. Not sure what else is happening with the drivers. 

Motus or Wavecor?  Maybe that would explain why the Wavecor drivers keep going extinct. 
    Motus. 
    I have a signature.
  • Regarding Motus, I wrote to Ryan Audio: Trevor from Ryan sold them in 2015 to focus on Ryan Speakers.  He suggested I contact:  erich@denovoaudio.com  since Erich was the owner of Motus when Trevor last spoke to him in late 2017.  I never contacted Erich (same one from DIYSG?).
    dcibel
  • Interesting, when I bought my Motus tweeters, Eric H (@DIYSG) wanted me to send them to him for testing, but because I'm in a different country I didn't want to deal with the shipping and risk any damage to irreplaceable tweeters. I pointed him to the testing in Voice Coil instead.

That was also in late 2017, you'd think if he owned the company he might have a pair of Motus tweeters kicking around, or at least mentioned that he had something to do with the company.
    e6zion
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • ...and I doubt Wavecor is going anywhere. They're a pretty big OEM, probably just cutting the fat from the DIY offerings down to what's popular.
  • What hasn't been said is that Karl, then from PE, purchased/owned them and had Erich pick them up. Erich came into possession and ownership after that point. Last I knew, Erich still had them- pallets full.
    e6zion
  • PE has an bargain at present, and we all need 'em
    4" cable ties 100pc bag for $.56
    https://www.parts-express.com/cable-wire-tie-4-18-lb-tensile-natural-100-pcs--080-926
    e6zion
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited July 2020
    That looks exactly like the old Goldwood GT-525 that Zaph rated as hot garbage. Also looks like the one they took a photo of has a cracked faceplate by the top left screw.

Goldwood GT-525 ($10) - This is a horrible tweeter on all counts, just stay away. It has a ragged low end response and piercing harmonic distortion. Low build quality tops it off. Tested April 2008.
    GT-525 is still available it seems:

• Yeah that GRS tweeter is garbage. The other dome they sell is a far better unit. I used both in the design phase of Cabrini Redux. 
    I have a signature.
  • At least it's not a flashlight.
    PWRRYDjr@macani_101Turn2S7910
  • Well, yes. Yes it is. 
    I have a signature.
  • Yea, another flashlight. 
  • Received the Wavecore two30wao5 yesterday.  Look sweet and very robust.  Huge dome and huge surround for a tweeter.  Do have an issue due to not so great packaging by the vendor.  Since the domes protrude past the faceplate and the vendor did not use standoffs on the faceplate, all domes were dented.  The others had much deeper dents and all of them popped out as they were unwrapped, but the one with the smallest dent did not.  For the dents that popped out on their own, will it hurt anything?  Any delicate way to fix the one that didn't spring back? 

joeybuttsBrannigansLaw
  • Fina a large straw and suck it out with your mouth. 
      Never thought I would need that sentence...

joeybuttsrjj45e6zion
  • Made me laugh.  :o 
    I take it that as long as the dent comes out performance will be unaffected.
    Was going to mate them with a 7" Rival but now thinking more along the lines of an 8", maybe rs225 
    'esk.
  • Did they not come in the original packaging from Wavecor?

Anyway, I would try to gently massage it out pushing on the side of the dome, worst case you can try and disassemble the tweeter and push it out from the back.

If there's leftover permemant creases it may have some effect on the frequency response, probably minor.  Your other 3 looks perfectly fine from what I can see in the photo.
  • Nope, they came rolled in cardboard.  Got the dent out and see no creases, yippee! Time to figure out what to do with them.  Three speakers 'currently in process', heavily considering picking up 32 of the 4" pe buyout and mylar tweets from danP for a friggin' huge line array, waiting on metalflake and dye to blue candy the Shy (cp/rst) build, now these beauties, three shelves of drivers waiting to be used ... I may have a problem.              
    dcibelrjj45
  • I see nothing wrong with anything you just typed.
    DanP
  • edited July 2020
     ...not helping. 

• Kornbread said:
    Received the Wavecore two30wao5 yesterday.  Look sweet and very robust.  Huge dome and huge surround for a tweeter.  Do have an issue due to not so great packaging by the vendor.  Since the domes protrude past the faceplate and the vendor did not use standoffs on the faceplate, all domes were dented.  The others had much deeper dents and all of them popped out as they were unwrapped, but the one with the smallest dent did not.  For the dents that popped out on their own, will it hurt anything?  Any delicate way to fix the one that didn't spring back? 

That sucks! Did these come from DIYSG? 
  • Yep, good price and they were advertised as brand new.  All is well though, cannot see any creases in the last one that popped out.  I'll sweep em' w/dats when time allows.    
  • Kornbread said:
    Yep, good price and they were advertised as brand new.  All is well though, cannot see any creases in the last one that popped out.  I'll sweep em' w/dats when time allows.    
    Good plan. I have had this present no issues before, but once I did get a set of the scanspeak version of the vifa dx25, with one dented dome. It popped out but left visible differences in 'sheen' where I guess the coating was affected, and by eye I could have sworn the curvature of the dome was a tiny bit different. More importantly, that tweeter had a recurring 'fuzzy' type distortion that I could never get rid of; got a repair kit with a new dome and it's good as new. 
  • I use a small piece of masking tape and a toothpick to rub the tape on the dome and lift up
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited July 2020
    At first I was disappointed these measurements didn't make one line like @ani_101 tw022 but then I looked closer at his graph.  Could the small difference in #1 be from the dents?
    Actually, I did use masking tape instead of the 'suck on it' method.
    Ani, did your tw022 come with the plastic standoffs so the domes wouldn't get mashed?                 

• It's not that bad, and at 450Hz I'm not sure how much that will matter for a tweeter crossover at 1500Hz+
  • Yeah, at 1K and up they are super consistent. 
    I have a signature.
  • No wrinkles either.  Since it's totally active, I'm really wondering about slipping them into the naks for a bit and maybe using them in an 8" w/out wave guide, if Don doesn't grab the next pair that comes up for sale.  These things look like they might go below 1.5k.  I'll see if there is enough room in an existing speaker to mount one of the tw030 and get an in-situation measurement.  Have yet to find any distortion measurements online.