Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Four per tower with a sensitive mid and tweeter on top?
  • I was just admiring passinginterest's skill and passion in building his trump towers and was thinking along those lines.  Looks like they have a decent breakup that needs addressed if crossing to a tweet.  Even if they can be crossed successfully with a tweeter, how clean are they in the midrange?  I've read of some concerns with that on the other sds woofer. 

I am developing a stash of woofers and can already tell, this hobby is going to become even more expensive.  How does everyone support the habit?  It would be nice to sell some of the creations, even if it meant just breaking even.  How successful have you guys been at getting a return on your projects?           
  • I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to sell my speakers.  So I just gift them to friends and family.
    BrannigansLawrjj45Billet
  • PWRRYD said:
    I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to sell my speakers.  So I just gift them to friends and family.
    I am coming to the same conclusion. I don't know anyone who values really good sound highly enough to want to pay even the cost of materials, unfortunately. Better to gift them to those who would truly appreciate them but can't justify the cost. 
  • I would really like to sell some and at least recoup money for drivers and crossovers, but always end up giving them away. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Kornbread said:
    I was just admiring passinginterest's skill and passion in building his trump towers and was thinking along those lines.  Looks like they have a decent breakup that needs addressed if crossing to a tweet.  Even if they can be crossed successfully with a tweeter, how clean are they in the midrange?  I've read of some concerns with that on the other sds woofer. 

I am developing a stash of woofers and can already tell, this hobby is going to become even more expensive.  How does everyone support the habit?  It would be nice to sell some of the creations, even if it meant just breaking even.  How successful have you guys been at getting a return on your projects?           
    Dude, that was my design!  It's just that PassingInterest had the serious wood chops to create art.
    That design required 6 mid-woofers - 4 for bass, and 2 for mtm "top". If I did it again, I would separate the MTM part from the 4 woofers, and use a better tweeter.
    But the design sounds totally awesome as is. Even though the sim shows 52 Hz F3 or so, they can shake the house and do not sound strained a bit with low bass.
    S7910
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I had a really tough time convincing someone to spend 400$ on a emotiva Dac/Amp for powering a set of speakers that I gifted.... the speakers deserved it, but on the flip side 400$ would get you very nice HTIB or 200$ for a soundbar with wireless sub, and this is just a stereo!

its not just the speakers, even if i gift the speakers, i need to ensure they spend on the electronics, most of the time i am buying and gifting those too.... 
  • There are more than a few of those 6.5" AXP Gradients from the MCM closure sitting around.  One of those should keep up with a quad of the sds.

What do ya think?   
  • Kornbread said:
    There are more than a few of those 6.5" AXP Gradients from the MCM closure sitting around.  One of those should keep up with a quad of the sds.

What do ya think?   
    I was looking at those earlier on the Newark site. Some really great bargains there. A big change from just a few years ago. Speaker engineering is getting better.
  • ...and another project.  4 of the sds160f, 1 Gradient axis 6.5", and ??? tweeter.  Have a few of the rsts laying around one with the wonky impedance.  
  • Kornbread said:
    I was just admiring passinginterest's skill and passion in building his trump towers and was thinking along those lines.  Looks like they have a decent breakup that needs addressed if crossing to a tweet.  Even if they can be crossed successfully with a tweeter, how clean are they in the midrange?  I've read of some concerns with that on the other sds woofer.       
    That SDS woofer does just fine in the midrange. For whatever it's worth, the speakers I took to IOWA last fall had 2 of these per side crossed to a mylar dome and they got nothing but compliments. I wouldn't worry too hard about the breakup.
    rjj45
  • With much help from Kornbread and others, I did a two way floor standing speaker with the SDS 160PRO woofer and VIFA BC25TG tweeter, crossed at about 2,000Hz.  It wasn't my design, but the original crossover (commercial DIY) would have been very bright.  I thought it sounded good for the money, mids seemed quite good.

Geoff

• @rjj45 ; I'd say these are going to look like a smaller version of your Trump Towers.  Not sure whether to put the tweeter on top or below the mid, sketching it up looks like the tweeter might be a bit high if place above the mid.  Cabinets ~2 to 2.5ft² tuned around 50hz gives about a ~3db hump around ~80hz.  Can't seem to get it better than that.  Xmax looks good there.         
    rjj45
  • edited August 2019
    The more I look at todays DOTD, The more I like this little guy. I'm thinking small(ish) desktop MTM with a small format tweeter. Any thoughts or experience?

http://https//www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dma105-4-4-dual-magnet-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-590
  • I have a pair and the build quality looks pretty good.  I thought with the small neo magnet they would be good open baffle mid.  They could be surface mounted if you could find a tweeter that would blend well surface mounted.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited August 2019
    The Beston RT002 is a great match for surface mounting.
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Here is a far field 1/3 octave measurement of the PBO6 towers with a close miked port. They sound very balanced to me. 
  • Kornbread said:
    @rjj45 ; I'd say these are going to look like a smaller version of your Trump Towers.  Not sure whether to put the tweeter on top or below the mid, sketching it up looks like the tweeter might be a bit high if place above the mid.  Cabinets ~2 to 2.5ft² tuned around 50hz gives about a ~3db hump around ~80hz.  Can't seem to get it better than that.  Xmax looks good there.         
    For the "Radikal" towers, I kept it at about 60 Liters for 6 mid-woofers, since that was max for SWMBO - it was about 1/2 the volume that was really needed for a ported alignment. I wasn't sure about xmax on those drivers, so I tuned the box very low with a slot port, and the sim showed that lowered the xmax exceeded frequency a lot.

I just repeated that exercise with a sim for the Vifa 12 inch "sub" NE315, and results were the same. Using a smaller than needed ported box produced a 3 dB hump around 80 Hz with an xmax limit of 38 or so. Lowering the box tuning to 30-35 Hz took most of the hump out and lowered the xmax exceeded frequency to 20HZ or so.
    May work for you also...
  • edited August 2019
    If I put things into Edge correctly, there is going to be ~3.5db gain from ~150 to 900hz. so a hump (2.8db centered@75hz.) starting from ~60hz. and ending ~125hz. with an f³ of 45hz. might work out ok.  50hz. sounds a bit high to me but Xmax looked good till 38hz. at WOT.  For my tastes, that would probably need a sub.  There is plenty of time to work the sims before doing any actual work, I'll try the low tuning trick.   

The tweeter looked smoother slightly offset to one side.  The rst28 claims 92.5db efficiency but I'm not sure that will be enough.   

3.6ft² as they are currently drawn w/o bracing, drivers, port, mid enclosure, or wall thickness subtracted so I'd guesstimate it will come in just above your 60L. mark.    

After adding things up, I do not think the rst28 will keep up.  How does the bc25sc06-4 sound?             
  • jr@mac said:
    The Beston RT002 is a great match for surface mounting.
    Good call. I've got 3 of them somewhere.  Might be a fun project.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Kornbread said:

After adding things up, I do not think the rst28 will keep up.  How does the bc25sc06-4 sound?             
    The Vifa BC25SC06-04 is fine little $15 tweeter - smooth, easy to crossover > 2.5Khz or so 3rd order. I've used it in 3 or 4 designs, and really can't complain. I may have 2 left on the shelf, yours for the cost of postage if you'd like.

•  It looks like I'll need the Peerless BC25SC08-04 @98.8db not the BC25SC06-4 @92.4db. as I incorrectly posted earlier.  Is their a family resemblance to the sound?      
  • Kornbread said:
     It looks like I'll need the Peerless BC25SC08-04 @98.8db not the BC25SC06-4 @92.4db. as I incorrectly posted earlier.  Is their a family resemblance to the sound?      
    don't know, haven't heard that on. Do you really need 98 dB with BSC?
  • Never noticed this before, some of the efficiency ratings are with 2.83v/m and others 1w/1m.  Some have both measurements.  How does one correlate two different ratings into one comparable one?     
  • Kornbread said:
    Never noticed this before, some of the efficiency ratings are with 2.83v/m and others 1w/1m.  Some have both measurements.  How does one correlate two different ratings into one comparable one?     
    Good catch! 
    I have looked into this in depth, and the advice is always compare sensitivities at 2.83v/1meter.
    A nominal 4 ohm driver specified at 92dB 1w/1m will actually turn out to be 95 dB 2.83v / 1meter.
    That's because 2.0v/1meter = 1 w/m for a 4 ohm driver.
    BTW, I have qty 3 of the BC25sc-06-04 - a USPS mailer at $7.55 and they can be yours...  =)

• I'm looking for just such a unit, have you used it? Recommend it?
  • edited August 2019
    I bought one at the normal price awhile ago and consider it a solid performer.  To me it's important that a 2.1 amp has a high-pass on the satellites which this unit does have.  The literature states a 150 Hz high-pass, but I measured an F3 of 85 Hz (1st attachment) which was perfect for my setup.  When I measured the sub output I found that it had a boost of ~2.5 dB in the "flat" switch position and ~6.5 dB in the "boost" position (2nd attachment).  I decided to modify the filter circuitry to give responses that I preferred (3rd attachment).  The mod replaces SMD caps ans resistors which isn't everyone's cup of tea. 

Edit:  I can't get the attachments to show up.  I use the "attach file" option, select the jpeg files and the files are displayed until I post.  Then they're gone.  I assume I'm making some stupid error. Any help?

• Dig, I do SMD stuff, so not a problem. Go back and try the picture attach. This usually work without adding text. Kinda finicky sometimes. I'd like to see those graphs.