Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Waveguide it and I think I heard 1k.

Gowa
  • @jr@mac said:
    It will rock 1500 all day, maybe even lower.

How is the sound quality?

• Yeah, they are badass tweets. I nicknamed them Beast Mode several years ago, and they are. For $35 or whatever, can't be beat.

Gowarjj456thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Seven illumination devices for Cyber Week.

I have a signature.
  • Why only obsess with sound? Light is an equally good sensory stimulator.... I guess PE wants us to have a balanced sensory experience?

• @ani_101 said:
    Why only obsess with sound? Light is an equally good sensory stimulator.... I guess PE wants us to have a balanced sensory experience?

PE wants the markup. I recently ordered some Lipo rechargeable flashlights on Aliexpress for dirt cheap!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The pandemic has caused all sorts of shipping disruption. Hope you get your shipment on time...

rjj45
  • Peerless d19td-05 ¾" poly dome $12.75.

• Yay! A $4 mini screwdriver one dollar off :s

• Newark has 15% off again. Use Voucher Code HOLLY15.

Ron

• Just noticed a couple new Morel drivers on PE - a $40 small form factor tweeter and a $90 stamped frame 6-1/2" woofer. Part of some kit according to the literature, so maybe the kit is already available on PE. I don't really care about kits, so I didn't bother looking to see if it is on there or not.

The new flyer mentions the DMA are now lower priced. I find that interesting, as they seem to be a pretty well engineered series at an already low price point. The 4" is some kind of interesting to me - it shares a dimension with the Beston square tweeter so it would seem to be a natural mating. If a guy could find a square frame woofer, an old fashioned looking 3-way could be done. The only square frame woofers I can find are the GRS jobbers and I guess I am not a fan of their TS parameters.

Channing shared his build pics of his rendition of the monkey coffins I did years ago, and now I want to build another monkey coffin, using some more mid-tier drivers.

Of course all the Goldwood is on one if its regular 20% off everything. Good time to stock up on port tubes and shit like that. Every time they have a sale, I want to buy a pair of the Delmar woofers - they look good, have some nice features at the price point, and I always back down.

I have a signature.
  • That tweeter (KT-1) looks like the MDT 12 repackaged from a square face plate to a circular one. It's interesting that the size (72 mm) exactly matches some of the SB small format tweeters (e.g. SB26STCN). I used the MDT 12 years ago and thought it was capable, but very similar to the lower cost ND28. But hey, it's a Morel. ;)

• edited December 2020

How come you don't see small format tweeters with large rear chambers? Certainly it can be done without a great added expense?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The SS Illuminators are the only ones I know of that are similar to as pictured, and small in form factor.

I also felt the new Morel looked like the MDT12 and ND28.

As to the Delmar woofers-
    I used the 6.5" in the 'Black Box' theme build called "Schwarz XL", and my experience was not favorable. I bought a pair, and one of them had an offset dustcap that LEAKED AIR. This caused noise. I bought a 3rd one, but the specs were really different than the other 2, and the initial pair weren't 'matched' by any right. I ended up sealing the leaky one with an adhesive, and using a stuffed-vented box to try and get approximately the same box alignment or extension from both. I know Jeff had used a few of the larger ones in a sealed subwoofer for somebody at some point as he mentioned it, and wasn't cutting them down. I guess depending on how many you have to use, and the goals applied; YMMV.

• Nice little woofer on DOTD today - no idea why, it shows a MOQ of 50 pieces.

dcibelWolf
    I have a signature.
  • Shows a W4-1052SD now, and nothing mentioned of MOQ.

• I see the comment now.... Nothing at the price listing though...

• I'd love to give the aluminum HDS a try, the smaller 15cm and 12cm variants have been on sale at Solen for ages for cheap cheap. Alas, I've enough drivers and projects lined up on the shelf already.

• I used the 6-1/2" Aluminum HDS in my DCT-1 design (see PE speaker gallery) and currently built a small 3-way with them. I think people shy away from this driver because the response is ugly above 1kHz but below that it really shines. I suppose with a tweeter in a large waveguide and low x-over this woofer could work in a two way.

• @dcibel said:
    I'd love to give the aluminum HDS a try, the smaller 15cm and 12cm variants have been on sale at Solen for ages for cheap cheap. Alas, I've enough drivers and projects lined up on the shelf already.

Me too on the driver stock!
    I used a 4 inch HDS mid in a 3 way and totally loved it.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • PE currently has the Wavecor WF182BD03 for $80, another clearance item.

dcibel
    I have a signature.
  • Better hurry, they only have 5 left in stock.

• Do my eyes deceive me or is that 4" TB with MoQ of 50 the DOTD again? Are we being trolled?

I have a signature.
  • They show in stock - order a pair, see what happens :)

• Hmmm, very Amazonish look to the PE web site revamp. And I believe that's a formerly $12 tweeter (Tymphany BC25SC08-04) jacked up to $25 and then discounted back to $15? What a deal.

rjj45
  • Well, that's hideous.

I have a signature.
  • I'm definitely not a fan of the new site.

• Two thumbs down!