Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• maybe PE's old format was just too easy to find what you were looking for...

• I like it, looks nice.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @Turn2 said:
    Hmmm, very Amazonish look to the PE web site revamp. And I believe that's a formerly $12 tweeter (Tymphany BC25SC08-04) jacked up to $25 and then discounted back to $15? What a deal.

https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-BC25SC06-04-1-Textile-Dome-Tweeter-264-1028?quantity=1

To be fair, they have carried two very similar versions for awhile now.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • Spent some time browsing - definitely pandering to mobile users. My single biggest complaint about this type of formatting is it renders the back button relatively useless. If you click on the hamburger icon to begin your drill down - if you accidentally click on the wrong thing and hit your back button it takes you back to the home page.

Not a deal breaker on small websites, but on websites where you might drill down through six or more categories it is painful. For people used to standard navigation tools it is irritating but I guess it is the way of the world now. It irritates me on real computers and mobile platforms.

The sliders used to narrow the search are pretty stupid in general. It insists on applying its position as a filter immediately - which means you are obliged to wait until it loads new results before applying additional constraints.

The above are my two biggest complaints from a usability standpoint - YMMV - but as a general rule modern web store design is pretty shitty - and has been for a decade. It isn't just PE - for awhile there on eBay you could filter a search for RAM for everything but actual capacity. On PE you can now filter air core coils by DCR, inductance, wire gauge, brand, review quality, and price. Due to the huge individual item listings just browsing them is painful - you can not really get more than a couple-three results on your monitor. I scan pages, so this presentation is very difficult for me to process. YMMV etc.

All in all, it is a pretty good example of the shitshow that the proliferation of mobile devices has resulted in.

And stay off my lawn.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Not sure I like this new layout either. But the old site used to revert back to the top when you expanded one of the choices along the side, like Brand. At least they fixed that.

• I agree 100% with Jr's assessment, and particularly with the pandering to mobile devices and touch screen in general.

• I guess all of PEs biggest customers use mobile devices :p

jr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • New PE site = YUCK!

• edited January 2021

@jhollander said:
    I guess all of PEs biggest customers use mobile devices :p

or at least all of the young guys putting monster subs into their cars....
    It's a hoot that they are soliciting feedback. We know how that went last time around!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Ok, so I really hate the new site but I did manage to see some new drivers coming.

I am very curious about 292-820.

God, the site is terrible.

I have a signature.
  • I can't see any info or pictures of that sub. Do you have some info on it?

• edited January 2021
  • @jr@mac said:
    Ok, so I really hate the new site but I did manage to see some new drivers coming.

I am very curious about 292-820.

God, the site is terrible.

The only spec listed so far is the weight... 11 pounds! That's quite a bit more than the 7.35 pound GRS12SW-4. I wonder what its xmax and sensitivity will be.

Yes, the new site absolutely sucks!

• I'm hoping it isn't just a cast frame using the same motor as the poly version. Might be car audio oriented. In any event, my interest is piqued.

I have a signature.
  • Wow, that new site was NOT ready for prime time.

I have a signature.
  • It's the same membrane in the Eso as the old AMT104-4, just silver instead of gold. They are also very close to the Kaiser AMTs.

• edited January 2021

Sorry, but I THINK I have the name wrong there...
    Yep- Kartesian:
    https://www.kartesian-acoustic.com/copie-de-twt30-vms-1

• edited January 2021

AMT1-4, got it. Yes, extraordinarily similar driver. Likely different diaphragm, the ES is advertised as "polymer" where the AMT1-4 is Kapton, which is polyimide.

• Polymer...polymide.... 220...221....whatever it takes.😛

jr@mac
  • edited January 2021

Polyimide is a type of polymer, yes. Any case, probably not exactly the same but different colour, different material.

As a bonus, if you already have the AMT1-4, you can try the ES diaphragm out for fairly low cost.
    https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-ES104AMT-RD-Replacement-Diaphragm-for-AMT-Tweeter-4-Ohm-275-398?quantity=1

• I do have the AMT1-4 and $80 doesn't seem worth it without seeing the FR. Is the FR graph hidden somewhere on the new site?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • At the bottom under Manuals & Resources.

• Why is it new old stock?

• edited January 2021

Cancelled product, they've probably had these collecting dust on the shelf for a year or three.

Pity, it looks like a decent AMT and would have put at least some tweeter option in the esoteric line. I imagine people would have struggled with the crossover for their "all esoteric" builds though.

• Yeah, that doesn't really look like it will meet up with either the ES140 or ES180. I guess what really is needed is a little, but fancy ESBMR to fill in the gap.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The ES180 could work, ES140 has a pretty crappy top end for a driver of that size.

• Cross at 3.4-4k? How will either ES driver work? Would require a dime or a 3-4" smooth mid range.

What are you looking for the xo point for the ES tweeter vs the ES 140 and ES180? Comfortable XO points for the 3 drivers?

• Simulation enabled it with the AMT1-4 and original ES140, so it might be doable.

• Newark has 15% off until the 15th with voucher code: LOVE15

Ron

• @jhollander said:
    I guess all of PEs biggest customers use mobile devices :p

I'm thinking that's why they maybe changed things around too.
    ...But I'm on my phone looking at a product and I can neither access reviews nor read any questions about the product I'm looking at. I know that things that are different are sometimes difficult to adjust to, but I'm not sure this is better on a mobile device than the old version.
    Hate to complain, but they asked for input, then locked the thread where we could give it. Maybe they're having a harder time working bugs out than it would seem. I wish PE the best getting this resolved though.
    TomZ