Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• I wonder how the DMA 4" distortion compares to a TC9FD.

• It has copper in the motor, well ventilated frame, very linear through the pass band, lots of neo in the motor - I think unless Dayton completely cocked up the gap or there is a bunch of offset in the motor, that it would measure pretty well. That motor appears to be very strong - the DOTD is a 4" 4 ohm driver with nearly 90db/2.83V. The 8 ohm variant is more sensitive than the 8 ohm TC9 as well. I think these might be legit, as much as I enjoy the TC9 the DMA seem to have a lot going for them (on paper).

Would make a great shootout!

I have a signature.
  • Popped for 2 of the DMS 4 inch 4 ohm, figure I could always make (another) pair of near-field desktop computer speakers.
    Also getting a pair of the DMS 2 inch, want to compare them to the Tectonics BMR 2 inch full range drivers.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • 4/7/2021: Bohlender Graebener Neo3 Driver with Deep Back Cup for SALE PRICE $83.98

Some of us may remember buying them for around $35 a pop. Has anyone tested the GRS knockoffs?

• I remember seeing someone on another forum had done some testing and found them to not be an exact clone of the BG stuff, and had some minor to moderate consistency issues.

That being said, I imagine if you go active with the GRS (which looking at the published response curves seems to be a good idea), the GRS will work superbly.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • I may be late to the party on this one, but did anyone see the new Fountek fw222. It looks kind of interesting.

• Hey look - another LED light!

• @ugly_woofer said:
    I may be late to the party on this one, but did anyone see the new Fountek fw222. It looks kind of interesting.

Models pretty well in a 38 L sealed enclosure. F3 = 50 Hz, 25 Watt = 101 dB/m within xmax. Not sure I like the looks of that grill though.

• It looks like they were trying to make it look Accuton-ish.

• 38l tuned to about 25hz yields an f3 of 40hz and f10 of 22hz, or if you need a small cabinet 15l sealed with 750uf cap gives an f3 of 52hz with a steeper roll off.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Models pretty well in a 38 L sealed enclosure. F3 = 50 Hz, 25 Watt = 101 dB/m within xmax. Not sure I like the looks of that grill though.

I can't imagine an aluminum cone on a woofer would be so delicate that it needs an ugly grill. I agree with Nick - I think they're trying to make it look like a more expensive driver.

• The new Fountek RD1.0 that Ron mentioned looks nice.

• The grill is definitely ugly - but it is nice to see Fountek adopting a better frame for their drivers.

I dislike the Accuton line for the same reason - great drivers, hideous grills.

I have a signature.
  • If the cone is thin like some of their smaller units, or like the Jordan lineup, then I totally understand they don't want their thin cones molested.

• edited April 2021

Can a thin cone like that stay linear pushing 50Hz at 8mm x-max? Maybe it's formed with some internal tension somehow?

(Sorry - my grammar isn't quite up to par when I only get 3 hours of sleep.)

• @Wolf said:
    If the cone is thin like some of their smaller units, or like the Jordan lineup, then I totally understand they don't want their thin cones molested.

I don't know, its Mms is about the same as a Dayton RS225.

• If soft parts are up to snuff, yes - the cone however fragile should be ok.

I have a signature.
  • I feel like making a ton of guitar picks...

• Not much of a challenge in that.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Depends on what you make them out of

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The new Dayton MX subs are released. Look decent at first blush, but the relatively low Qms and the 5.5mH inductance on the 15" indicates they are not particularly high end. Given how expensive the RS subs have gotten, I don't blame Dayton for releasing these at the price point. It is unlikely that people will be happy with them in a home audio application, but the car audio guys will be able to hit some insane SPL with the $200 15". It is an affordable option if a guy wants to listen at 145db all day. Could also work in home as a ULF driver, I imagine.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Youtube guys beat the shit out of a few of them. Remember the Rockville K1? It had all the necessary ingredients on paper, and turned out to use some pretty shitty internals - especially the glue. Given Dayton has some weird hit or miss on quality... I think they lack a unified QC program.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-MX15-22-15-Max-X-High-Excursion-DVC-Subwoofer-2-Ohms-Per-Coil-295-168

I have a signature.
  • Also, anyone else remember a few months ago when a "new" search yielded some kind of high output 10" subwoofer under the GRS brand?

I have a signature.
  • The model on the MX drivers looks great until you include the enormous inductance. They're still usable, but not that exciting for HiFi people. They'll be popular with teenagers with their first cars I'm sure.

jr@macrjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • help a dummy understand... aside from the high inductance indicating that it might be using a primitive motor assembly, why does the high inductance signify that it's not a good hifi option?

• @jr@mac said:
    Also, anyone else remember a few months ago when a "new" search yielded some kind of high output 10" subwoofer under the GRS brand?

Yep. Then it vanished form the PE site.

• PE has a unified qc program...their customer base.

jr@mac
  • @Jim85IROC said:
    help a dummy understand... aside from the high inductance indicating that it might be using a primitive motor assembly, why does the high inductance signify that it's not a good hifi option?

All the same reasons a basic b motor isn't hifi in any other driver. Some people don't believe in distortion in bass though, so maybe you won't tell the difference between a high end sub and the cheap Dayton. Might be worth a listen, could save you a bundle :)

• Hard to make sense of the MX15. Modeled without inductance model, looked pretty ok at 100L with 22Hz tuning. That's the light blue line. Then I applied basic inductance model, that's the dark blue line, yikes. I then traced the impedance and generated a more accurate semi-inductance model, that's the darker purple line.

• edited April 2021

Moving on using the semi-inductance model, I re-modeled the model to a larger 160L and 27Hz tuning. That's the black line. Removed the inductance model to see that model looks like, that's the light blue line.

Make what you will of it, this driver rolls off before 100Hz on it's own due to the self-inductance, but maybe that's a bonus feature ;)

FWIW the RSS390HO is only $5 more right now, so if you don't need that extra few dB of output...