Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Newark still has some of the JB poly caps at clearance prices, as well. Some of the harder to find values especially - 9.1uF and 4.3uF.

I have a signature.
  • I've decided the PE website is useless and will no longer be buying from them.

dcibelrjj456thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • I understand the sentiment, JR.

Demand is high while product is scarce - just quit buying for now.

Concerning the website at PE - they went smart-phone compatible and poured money into marketing to non-technical folks and left the techies in the dust - the site is not searchable for components like it used to be at all.

BTW, Hi guys!

:)

Steve.

• I don't care about the pricing nearly as much as how unusable the site currently is.

I have a signature.
  • edited January 2022

Quit being so crotchety, JR!

jr@mac
  • edited January 2022

@ugly_woofer said:
    For those of you looking for cheap capacitors, Newark has some Kemet metalized pp film caps on special. 55uf = $2.46, 50 = $2.93, 17uf = $1.89, 6.8uf = $.97, and other values. Some are cheap some not, but these are np electrolytic prices. Don't be put off by the box shape, these are far better than np electrolytic.

Got my batch of 55uF's from Newark today. Thanks for the tip, Nick! Nice little rectangular buggers. The 4 leads are solid .05" (16ga) x 1/4" tinned copper stubs designed for PCB type mounting. The leads are very solid and should work just as well as nodal tie points for point-to-point type connections. :)

• Grab some of the Wima and compare the sound to the Kemet, please.

• @jr@mac said:
    I've decided the PE website is useless and will no longer be buying from them.

I guess i have enough inventory....

rjj45
  • Wow! Was thinking about designing a lower cost 3 way project and was considering the SD215A-88 for the woofer. Crazy... they've gone up 25% since I last bought them! That's nuts.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Wow! Was thinking about designing a lower cost 3 way project and was considering the SD215A-88 for the woofer. Crazy... they've gone up 25% since I last bought them! That's nuts.

Shipping costs have gone through the roof. I have a new one sitting on the shelf I'm not using if you want it.

Ron

• edited January 2022

Thanks Ron. Let me see if I can repo my second one from my son. He shouldn't need it as a sub anymore. The new GF180 project he and I built has BASS B)

• I have a pair of sd270 8-8 that will probably never get used. If your looking for alternatives.

• The Beston round planar is DOTD today. Combine that with Ken's SD270's, and you're well on your way to the Indium 7's or something like that...

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • SD215 + TC9 + RT003C + TC9

• I was thinking along the same lines. A lot of speaker for not much money.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • AKG buds on sale again for anyone who missed the sale last time...

• @Wolf said:
    AKG buds on sale again for anyone who missed the sale last time...

Worth the money, all I'll say.

I have a signature.
  • Have you heard the Apple Probuds? A coworker thinks they 'should be better', but I'm betting not.

• No, not much Apple stuff here.

I have a signature.
  • This looks like a lot of DSP for the money. It uses the same DSP chip as the MiniDSP. It lacks the ability to do biqaud filters and is limited to 24db/oct filter slopes.

https://parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DSP-408-4x8-DSP-Digital-Signal-Processor-for-Home-and-Car-Audio-230-500

Ron

• edited February 2022

@Ron_E said:
    This looks like a lot of DSP for the money. It uses the same DSP chip as the MiniDSP. It lacks the ability to do biqaud filters and is limited to 24db/oct filter slopes.

https://parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DSP-408-4x8-DSP-Digital-Signal-Processor-for-Home-and-Car-Audio-230-500

Ron

Didn't Kornbread have his Dayton DSP unit brick?

• I bought one awhile ago, good little unit I put mine in a case so the mess of wires are hidden.

MartyH
  • Had at least two units brick, maybe three, can't remember. Luckily, someone else with the problem pm'd about the remote fixing the issue. Anyhow, have two of the 408 sitting in a pile of miscellaneous junk. If I want to play around with a crossover setting/notch/boost, and the minidsp are in use elsewhere, they might get used short term. IMO, the 408's only advantage over the minidsp is live adjustments, otherwise, the mini has no noise, sounds better, and the software is much more refined.

At first, PE was helpful. IIRC, PE did send me a free minidsp 2x4 to replace one of the bricked 408's.

• Thanks for that feedback, KB.
    I feel better for spending the money on the mini-dsp now than on the DA 408.
    The low price just seemed too good to be true . . .

• KB - where did you purchase the audio project box/chassis?
    I need one for two 3 channel Wondom amps and power supplies, yet . . .

• @Steve_Lee said:
    KB - where did you purchase the audio project box/chassis?
    I need one for two 3 channel Wondom amps and power supplies, yet . . .

? Did you mean hifiside?

• My mistake - I am distracted with re-configurations tonight - yes, I guess this should have been directed at hifiside . . .

• I think there were issues with noise or something with those?

• They also lack digital inputs.

• @6thplanet said:
    I think there were issues with noise or something with those?

I could never get rid of the noise. Different receptacles, power strips, magnets, touching a ground wire from chassis to chassis.

@Steve_Lee
    MeanWell se600-48, 4715ms-12w-b10-a00 115v low speed fan, sure aa-ab32313 2x400