Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• If they can do that with $15 tweeters, why can't they do that with the new rst28 that replaces their prized rs28? 

Pair of rst28f.  PE says "They may sound a little different but we don't offer a matching service or market them in matched pairs.  And the difference is not so much that we would consider it a defect, the impedance shift seems to be less than 20% which is the industry cutoff.  " 

Although the measurements are much better than some of the rst others have posted up, will there be a noticeable difference in these tweeters?   

• You may find a DB or so difference. 
    I have a signature.
  • Agreed- and those aren't as bad as others I've seen.

• A db over a wide enough range will definitely lead to perceptual differences - if you use those tweeters, consider custom padding for each channel. The image will pull to one side, otherwise - and if the woofers are a closer match to each other sensitivity wise it will "smear" said image, as well. You can use pink noise in mono to experience this effect in a startling fashion. 
    4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Think it's worth pulling them apart and doing the Ben mod?     
  • I definitely would.
  • And exactly as JR commented, even a 1ish dB difference in tweeter sensitivity is easily perceived.  I have a pair of the old RS28AS that I bought when they were clearing them out.  They measure 1.5 dB difference across the board.  When I started voicing the pair in a design my wife immediately asked "why does Diana Krall sound like she's over there (pointing to the right speaker)?"  After custom padding each tweeter the problem was solved.  I mentioned this when I was demo'n that design in Iowa about 4 years ago.  A couple people looked at me like I was crazy.
    4thtryrjj45
  • Symmetry is very important.
    4thtryrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • PE doesn't consider them defective until they reach a 20% impedance differential.  That must be very noticeable.
    Think those will go back on the shelf until there is time to mod.  One another note, my hearing has shifted enough that images tend to pull to my left.  Maybe the bad one should go on the right ... bam, solid center.      
  • I sat in amazement listening to Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell's Travelers.  The imaging and sound stage were incredable.  I don't believe my ears are anywhere near perfect but that set of speakers just sounded perfect to me.  I would venture to guess that the right/left measurements were dead nuts the same.
  • PWRRYD said:
    I sat in amazement listening to Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell's Travelers.  The imaging and sound stage were incredable.  I don't believe my ears are anywhere near perfect but that set of speakers just sounded perfect to me.  I would venture to guess that the right/left measurements were dead nuts the same.
    Thanks Craig! We appreciate your thoughts. I can't verify Curt's measurements but I can tell you he is meticulous voicing and matching drivers. He gets very grumpy when drivers don't measure correctly.

Jim
  • I wonder if PETT got hacked again.  Earlier today I had trouble getting to the forum page, now it says it's down for maintenance.
  • It's a VBulletin Update according the post from the admin. It will hopefully fix the upload issue, at least that is what I hope it will do.
  • Looks like it's back up now.
  • jholtz said:
    PWRRYD said:
    I sat in amazement listening to Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell's Travelers.  The imaging and sound stage were incredable.  I don't believe my ears are anywhere near perfect but that set of speakers just sounded perfect to me.  I would venture to guess that the right/left measurements were dead nuts the same.
    Thanks Craig! We appreciate your thoughts. I can't verify Curt's measurements but I can tell you he is meticulous voicing and matching drivers. He gets very grumpy when drivers don't measure correctly.

Jim
    Linky?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Sorry, it's not been published yet. I'm not sure what Curt's schedule is for making it available.

Jim
    rjj45
  • Man oh man....  I have so wanted to try a pair of those Tang Band W5-2143 drivers and they are on flash sale right now for $48.50.  Not sure if I'll be able to resist   :#
    rjj45
  • Those are high on my list as a dedicated mid.
    I have a signature.
  • My exact plans (dedicated mid).  Under hung voice coil, super low inductance, and perfect piston diameter for a dedicated mid sitting over a pair of 7"s   ;)
  • I've looked through the flash sale and no w5???
  • PE#  264-958
    kenrhodes
  • I am SO proud of myself that I did not buy the W5 DOTD. Gotta use my existing stock....
    ani_101
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Wish I could say the same  :o
    rjj45
  • I resisted. 
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • I'm so proud of all of you who resisted and even more proud of those who caved. 🤗
    PWRRYD
  • Kornbread said:
    Think it's worth pulling them apart and doing the Ben mod?     

I did the Ben mod on one of my defective rst28's.  I also pulled off the protective screens on the faceplate and  then snipped off the plastic dome protector that was molded over the dome.  The plastic dome protector did not touch the dome at all, I think it was in there simply to add additional protection.

I am in the process of filling the recess between the dome and flange with a pair of plumbing O-rings, sized to fit the space vacated by the protective screen.  I also have a pair of non-defective rst28's with good impedance curves, so when I get done modding my defective set, I am going to mount both sets of tweeters on my DIY test baffle (24x30") and do some comparative FR sweeps.   If anyone is interested, I'll post the curves when done.

• Yes, post the before and after measurements and things you might do differently next time.  
  • Ok, I'll be doing this in the next day or two.
  • Heh- "Ben Mod". Youz guyz crack me up! I'd like to see the before and after on the phase shield as well. I thought about snipping mine, but didn't want to make them worse.
  • The w5-2143 is back on sale for the weekend for those who resisted. 
    Other things that pique my interest; the tcp115 ($10) and the dma90 ($12).  What's the scoop on these drivers?     
    rjj45