Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Bill or Ben - I must have missed something. Tell me why I might want to remove the plastic bits behind the screen? I thought it might be part of a phase shield.
  • Typically, silk-domes do NOT have phase shields. These are mainly for the metal domes that breakup or peak in response and it suppresses the output at the apex to prevent it. As for silks, they tend to be out of phase at the tip vs edge due to flexure of the material. SB anchored the tip in their dimples to better this aspect. I have even recently thought of using a couple pizza-box centers to anchor the tip on a couple ND28 I have just to see the difference.

kenrhodes
  • Wolf, ...and post freq response as well- interesting
  • If and when I can get a stock of 2 of those centers, will do!
  • Ben If that were to work I could try to print something that would be a little cleaner looking than Pizza parts. Let me know if I can help.
  • kenrhodes said:
    Ben If that were to work I could try to print something that would be a little cleaner looking than Pizza parts. Let me know if I can help.
    I was thinking 3d printer too. I'll be curious to see the results of your testing Ben.
  • I passed on the very nice W5-2143, only to find another PE sale today with the credible PS95 at $18, and the FR59EXE for $16. Thinking about a Linkwitz Pluto clone,  $68 total for drivers, maybe passive if I can, probably active based on in room measurements.  Of course, I would need subs, but those are in place aleady.
    https://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fr59exe-2-neodymium-full-range-driver--296-732
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ps95-8-3-1-2-point-source-full-range-driver-8-ohm--295-349
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  •   rjj45, I love my pluto clones. I used the minidsp for the crossover. I used a cheaper peerless woofer but the same aura driver for the top end.  If you can afford the realistate in your room I am sure that you will like the speakers. One thing that might work really well is the PS-95 fireing vertically as a surround and the Fountek as the full range driver on a LX clone. You would just need a pair of woofers. This would provide you with a great 4 challel surround system (or add a center for 5.1).
    rjj45
  • My pair of TB W5-2143 arrived today.  They are too cold off the UPS truck to measure.  But visual inspection says they look great.  I can't wait to try/hear them.
    kenrhodes
  • Tom_S said:
    Bill or Ben - I must have missed something. Tell me why I might want to remove the plastic bits behind the screen? I thought it might be part of a phase shield.

That could very well be:   a carefully engineered phase shield of some type that I have now destroyed.  I figured, as long as I was in the "modification mode" I might as well pull the screens off as well (all mwaf participants got a free pair of defective tweeters in our grab bags).  The screens are fairly thin and dent easily.   To remove the screens, I dented the screen in a little bit along the edge so I could grab the screen with a needle nose and yank it off.   It was glued in along the perimeter with a small amount of glue, which I scraped out with a small screw driver, being very careful not to slip and poke the dome.   The flange is plastic, so the scraping did not suck magnetically into the voice coil area.

My guess is that the plastic "phase" shield is actually an additional layer of protection for the dome (belt and suspenders).  It is at least 1/8" or more above (proud) of the dome and if something hit the screen and crushed it in, the plastic shield would save the dome.  The four point suspension makes it very strong.  I snipped it out with a small shearcutter:

https://www.parts-express.com/xcelite-170m-5-general-purpose-shearcutter--360-900

• Wolf said:
    Heh- "Ben Mod". Youz guyz crack me up! I'd like to see the before and after on the phase shield as well. I thought about snipping mine, but didn't want to make them worse.

I'll add this to my list of measurements.  So far, I have only compared plumbing o-ring verses no plumbing o-ring in the space vacated by the screen.   Makes a slight difference of about 1/2 dB or so in the 10kHz area with a slight phase shift from about 5kHz and up.
  • I took the T/S measurements with my DATS of the W5-2143 drivers right out of the boxes, then broke them in at xmax for 30 mins, let them cool for an hour, then measured them again.  In this case the T/S parameters don't really matter all that much as I'll be using these drivers as pure midrange drivers crossed around 400 to 500 Hz in smaller, stuffed, sealed enclosures where their T/S parameters matter very little.  What does matter is that they measure very close to each other and don't show any ugly blips in their impedance curves.

Good news.  They do measure very close to each other (not so close to the Tang Band's published parameters).  Anyway, there are no wiggles in their impedance curves.  Just FYI here are my measurements and TB's:

After break in:

Driver A
    Fs 67.29 Hz
    Re 6.45 ohm
    Qms 3.003
    Qes 0.5523

Driver B
    Fs 69.31 Hz
    Re 6.39 Hz
    Qms 2.988
    Qes 0.5578

Tang Band spec:
    Fs 55
    Re 6.3
    Qms 3.21
    Qes 0.43

kenrhodesrjj45
  • Neo Cd1.0 Ribbon $40 flash sale
    kenrhodes
  • Thought this was a worthwhile sale even including shipping. https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/woofers/motus-uh165pw1-woofer/

I'd be all over this is I could get my shop up and running at the new house.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • HiVi RT1.3WE Isodynamic Tweeter $27.

• I saw this ad on Facebook today 5 minutes after it went up and I PM'd my nephew who is interested in building some big towers.

Selling: (2) NE265W-08 - Tymphany 10" Neodymium

One of the lowest distortion woofers available, still in original packaging.

Both were purchased as backup drivers, were tested and stored in a cool, smoke-free environment.

$150 plus shipping

He bought them.

Ron

6thplanetS7910
  • Now THAT was a deal!
  • Wow, cyber Monday sale...  The Peerless 830869 eight inch Nomex woofer is on sale for only $34.98.  That is a great deal on a great woofer. 
    rjj45
  • If I didn't have more drivers than I can shake a stick at, a quad of those Dayton Esoteric 7" sure look tasty.
  • PWRRYD said:
    If I didn't have more drivers than I can shake a stick at, a quad of those Dayton Esoteric 7" sure look tasty.
    Have them in my cart... but... great drivers, not sure when i'll get around to them...
  • Do it... Do it... Everybody is doing it...  I am such a bad influence LOL
  • Got a UM15 on the shelf. Been waiting on this kind of price for a Bash500
    https://www.parts-express.com/bash-500s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-500w-rms--300-752

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Must resist more drivers.  Heads up, drop has the Sennheiser hd6xx (hd650) for $180.  Think I'll be getting those for boy's Christmas instead of more drivers.   
    rjj45jr@mac
  • rjj45 said:
    Got a UM15 on the shelf. Been waiting on this kind of price for a Bash500
    https://www.parts-express.com/bash-500s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-500w-rms--300-752

you know what - the UM18s are on sale..... Do it Do it Do it!!!
    PWRRYDrjj45
  • Kornbread said:
    Must resist more drivers.  Heads up, drop has the Sennheiser hd6xx (hd650) for $180.  Think I'll be getting those for boy's Christmas instead of more drivers.   
    I have the HE4XX I got at 170$, now there are at 130$. If you have a headphone amp, they are really good... with phone, not enough juice to rock, but plays pretty loud, but the bass lacks a bit

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones
  • I forgot I have a UM15 lying around here somewhere..... 
  • ani_101 said:
    I have the HE4XX I got at 170$, now there are at 130$. If you have a headphone amp, they are really good... with phone, not enough juice to rock, but plays pretty loud, but the bass lacks a bit

I <3  planars and Initially, I wanted the he4xx until reading some mixed reviews on headfi.org.  The hd650s may not be the best, but they are pretty much the standard.  Boy has a Bravo and an Altoids head amp (don't remember which chip), one of those will do until we can save enough $ to get a Shitt head amp that matched his Shitt dac.  
  • Kornbread said:
    ani_101 said:

I <3  planars and Initially, I wanted the he4xx until reading some mixed reviews on headfi.org.  The hd650s may not be the best, but they are pretty much the standard.  Boy has a Bravo and an Altoids head amp (don't remember which chip), one of those will do until we can save enough $ to get a Shitt head amp that matched his Shitt dac.  

Diyaudio has a bespoke headphone amp design with minimalist creds. It might be fun to compare against popula commercial products.
  • Has anyone bought anything from PE's sale today?