Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

you never know

Met a woman on social dating site. My profile proudly states my hobby time is used for wonderful loudspeakers.
She responded with "my dad built speakers his whole life, and I still have two pairs".
Now I was really interested!
We talked, and she said that the speakers were a bit large (very unusual for a woman's condo!)
After we hung up, I noticed her last name was Allison.
She said this morning, yes my dad was Roy.

WOW!
You never know.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
jr@macBrannigansLaw6thplanet4thtryScottSDanPhifisideJasonP

Comments

• A Glorious Time: AR's Edgar Villchur and Roy Allison Allison Part 1
    Roy Allison: Bending Boundary Effects
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/glorious-time-ars-edgar-villchur-and-roy-allison-allison-part-1

rjj45
  • Sounds like a keeper! At the very least, high SAF for your hobby ;)

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Awesome!

I have a signature.
  • Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, Don! Fingers crossed it works out well for you

• Wow! I met Roy once. He was a judge one year at MWAF, I believe it was 2009 with Joe D'Appolito and Jerry McNutt.
    I cannot seem to find proof that it was that year, but I can only show back to MWAF 2010 on the forum.

PWRRYDrjj45
  • That is bloody cool.

rjj45
  • In the immortal words of Bill and Ted......NOoo WAayyy!

6thplanet
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    In the immortal words of Bill and Ted......NOoo WAayyy!

In the words of Wayne and Garth "I am not worthy!"

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • So now you'll have to build a pair of Allison Model One speakers to impress her. :)

rjj45
  • I think I would use other, more tactile techniques ;) YMMV

D1PP1Nrjj45
  • I met my wife in 2006 on matchdotcom. Still going strong. Best of luck to you.

rjj45
  • @rjj45 said:
    Met a woman on social dating site. My profile proudly states my hobby time is used for wonderful loudspeakers.
    She responded with "my dad built speakers his whole life, and I still have two pairs".
    Now I was really interested!
    We talked, and she said that the speakers were a bit large (very unusual for a woman's condo!)
    After we hung up, I noticed her last name was Allison.
    She said this morning, yes my dad was Roy.

WOW!
    You never know.

How neat is that !!

• That's amazing! What are the chances that you connected with her out of all the women on a dating site?

Sounds like fate!

rjj45
  • So time marches on, and I had a chance to get up close and personal with a pair of vintage Allisons.
    I was expecting Allison 4s, but this is what I saw:

Got a closeup of the nameplate:

So, they are Allison CD-9
    Here is a different pair for sale somewhere you can see the dome mid and tweeter

The sound was very well balanced, perhaps a bit soft in the treble, but I played a number of my torture tracks and they came through with flying colors. Awesome bass extension, good midrange clarity, fantastic dynamic handling. The system sounded a bit like Peerless SDS drivers, which would sort of fit with the state of the art for way back then.
    Looks like I'll have the chance to do some measurements pretty soon. Dude did some quality work!

jhollanderjr@macGowa6thplanet