Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

How is everyone

Is everyone doing ok? All things considered .
P.S. not political just in general .

Comments

• Fantastic, thanks, and you?

• I'm OK but way too much Covid around here. We just had an entire week of 70 degree weather in November which was record breaking for Iowa.

Ron

• Same here Ron. Now today it's only 34F.

• I'm rather stressed and getting depressed with my work situation, if it weren't for that I'd have little to complain about other than current world events. I have the next few days off so hopefully my brain can decompress a bit.

We just had a good snowfall in my corner of the world, the lack of wind here makes it look like a post card, unlike where I grew up where it's always windy and just had a "winter storm" instead of a lovely snowfall.

If anyone watches Schitt Creek , we have a big mountain ash tree in our front yard, lots of berries that are ready to fall, I think every crow in the province shows up for it, it truly is the Crowening ;)

squamishdrocSilver1omoGowa
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • 76 degrees today, new build going well, girlfriend just texted back with good news. You know who is moving to the WH, couldn't be better.

Turn2
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Weird year, everything runs together. Ready for something different, just because. Highlight from a few weeks ago

rjj45squamishdrocGowaRon_EJasonP6thplanetS79104thtry
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @dcibel said:
    I'm rather stressed and getting depressed with my work situation, if it weren't for that I'd have little to complain about other than current world events. I have the next few days off so hopefully my brain can decompress a bit.

We just had a good snowfall in my corner of the world, the lack of wind here makes it look like a post card, unlike where I grew up where it's always windy and just had a "winter storm" instead of a lovely snowfall.

If anyone watches Schitt Creek , we have a big mountain ash tree in our front yard, lots of berries that are ready to fall, I think every crow in the province shows up for it, it truly is the Crowening ;)

Just finished the last season last night - such a good show! Hope things at work get better👍

• Terrible actually. I'm not one to complain about my life but have needed venting. A family member has been diagnosed with ALS, I've been incredibly stressed with a speaker job, I have a mass in my left bicep that just got MRI'ed, bad nights/sleeping poorly at work along with being a new driver has me stressed a bit, a car is out of commission (thankfully my junker is running well) and wife's car has a check engine that needs to be addressed sooner than later and have about ten 1% house projects to do along with daily activities and preparing for the holidays. Just new territory for me and is overbearing emotionally/mentally. Fighting to be strong for my wife and kid has been the most exhausting.

Ready for a break.

• Very sorry to hear about your family member being diagnosed with ALS. My best friend lived with it for a number of years before it finally took him out :(

• edited November 2020

My Aunt and Uncle are going through Covid, but she's on the mend, and he is hopefully as well since I've not heard any negative updates. My family, both immediate and extended are otherwise doing well. Cases have spiked in this area as well, but I don't know that things are changing as far as procedures.

I just dropped some money on some new music, since I have not bought any in quite a while, as well as some wire-making products including a heat gun. I was getting a bit depressed because we just can't 'go and do' much still for the moment. I'm really glad my speaker projects have been something to do, as I'd just go stir crazy without anything.

I just built a workpiece-flattening jig for the router, so I can flatten the side panels for the Tandems project. I then realized none of my router bits were 'flat-bottomed' or meant for that purpose. So- I got a Yonico 'Spoil-board' bit (1.75"D, 3.0" long) coming as well as collars and bearings to keep the new jig safe under operation. I hope to do this step before winter on all 4 boards and laminate a new outside piece to the flattened stacks. One of the Tandems' completed portions split mildly a couple weeks ago, so I'm going to apply more West Systems and hope I'm done with that process. The other one is fine with no signs of any layer movement.

Oh yeah- 70's for a week or so here too, and about 46 here currently.

• Sorry to hear about your troubles Joey. Best wishes to you and yours. One day at at time.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited November 2020

Not great on my end. Lost father to covid. Mom had a long recovery with memory loss and other complications but she is ok now. I tested negative for antibodies.
    NY is very weird. About 50% of retail space in NYC is closed. Some are boarded up. Streets are empty. The other day I was in front of Plaza Hotel and normally it's hard to walk on the street but this time there were may be 5 people around Pulitzer Fountain. Majority of the high rent restaurants will be closing the doors. Landlords do not want to lower rents even temporary and with the colder weather coming, outdoor dining will soon end too. This also means, no remodeling jobs for contractors and woodworkers.
    My landlord technically is the city of NY. They do not want to renegotiate rents either. At list 3 woodworking shops on my floor will close if the situation will remain the same. I am strongly considering closing up as well.
    There's WeWork building in front of ours. Construction was finished about a year ago but it remains empty due to exuberant rental prices and covid.

• I recalled that you lost your father to it, Roman, and that it was grim for your mother at one point. I hope your situation improves.

• Stressed, we had a round of layoffs and may have another in January.
    And we are expecting a second child.
    My mom got covid but luckily recovered with almost no issues.
    Dad got surgery in both eyes.

• It has been a testing year, we had severe bush-fires followed by COVID and what went with it. In Melbourne we've just come out from four months 'lock down'. That resulted in a lot of pain and job losses, but we've had no deaths and no new cases for almost two weeks now, so many of the restrictions have now lifted.

Music was a bright light through all that and forums like this have been a great way to keep in touch with people, thank you. Also, due to the limits on movement, neighbours have become friends and help each other more than before, a good thing.

We have relatives in Iowa City and keep in touch regularly to see how they're going.

Very sad to hear of peoples' losses of family and friends.

Geoff

• Enjoyed the 70 degree weather last year and shovelled heavy ice snow in 20 degree today morning...

This year almost no movement on speaker building and I won't be getting any new projects started anytime soon, but I have plenty of half done projects to take care of.

Family finally managed to get to Australia last month. My wife and elder daughter could enter, but we had to get exception for the baby, but at least they are in a Covid free zone. They were in Sydney till now after quarantine and today moving back to Melbourne, where the lockdown has significantly eased. Sydney was a breeze as everything is back to normal and no crowds. Getting my mom to India and wife and kids to Australia safely and navigating though ever changing policies consumed my entire summer and a significant chunk of change.

As for me, I am homebound as much as possible and and looking forward to the winter blues setting in. But I don't plan to out and about anyways...

• Everyone is healthy here, but things are getting serious at the hospital that I've been working at. There are trying to give early discharge to everyone possible, in order to make room.

• Ani- I didn't know you had 2 daughters. I thought it was just the baby.
    Are you/yours a US/Aus split resident, or was this just a trip?

Glad to hear they are healthy.

• You will love that bit, Ben.

I have a signature.
  • @Wolf said:
    Ani- I didn't know you had 2 daughters. I thought it was just the baby.
    Are you/yours a US/Aus split resident, or was this just a trip?

Glad to hear they are healthy.

Ben, you have seen my elder daughter, she is turning 5 this month. My youngest daughter was born in Jan of this year - she is the baby now! Getting her paper work done and getting exception approval for her travel to Australia took a very long time. My Wife and elder daughter are Australian Permanent Residents and we have just started the process for the younger one.

We are split resident between US/AU for the last couple of years. Lets just say things were very uncertain for immigrants the last few years and hence the search for a fallback plan. US/AU both provides for dual citizenship whereas India doesn't and both my daughters are US citizens. When Covid related travel restrictions started, we had a very nightmarish situation. Only Indians citizens could travel back to India which meant my wife and me, but not our daughters (irrespective of what ties/relationship or visa you have), My wife and elder daughter could travel to Australia, but not the baby, and I would have 60 days to get out of the US If I lost my Job. This pandemic brought to life the realities of modern families of mixed citizenships and resident status with travel being severely restricted.

Silver1omo
  • edited November 2020

Ani-
    Wow- that sounds like a jumbled mess. Glad it seems have it all sorted out.
    Wow, the baby is no 5!!! Man...

Johnny-
    I got this one...
    https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-4-Inch-Diameter-Bottom-Cleaning/dp/B081D6Y4SP/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=slab+flattening+router+bit+"long+shank"+"1/2"+shank"&qid=1604436521&s=hi&sr=1-17&th=1

I recognized the Yonico as a valid brand the way Don talks about his roundover bit, so I went with that one. The others had names I was unfamiliar with, and I didn't want a failure and carbide flying with one like you posted a pic of. Hopefully my choice was a good one...

• I'm still here, but not doing a whole lot besides work. We were swamped for quite while due to a coworker being out on disability and one entire office shut down for over a month earlier this year. I was trying to get out on the motorcycles as much as possible. Rode to work most every day, right up until Tuesday when the rain and cold hit. For me, it's the perfect social distancing activity! Not much work on speakers so far this year. My wife now works from home pretty much 6 days/week, so I have to keep the noise to a minimum. The headphones have seen more use lately. We still have the damage to the roof from the Derecho to be fixed. Had two contractors leave us hanging, so my nephew came by Saturday and tacked down a heavier tarp. It should handle the snow...I hope. We should have another guy stopping by tomorrow to give us a quote, but who knows how backlogged they are at this point. It's a little depressing here in town with all the damage & debris, but we'll get through it. Who knew 2020 would be such a dumpster fire!

Ani - that citizenship thing is crazy! I wish you didn't have to go through all that hassle. At least Australia is a nice, clean, civilized place. And Kangaroo is pretty tasty!

• Hey Tom, sorry to hear your roof is still not fixed. Given the pace of news and everything that's going on, it feels like such a long time ago you had posted the videos and photos of the storm.

I ended up in a profession where currently US is the biggest market, but the world gets more global day by day and more and more people are becoming digital nomads.

• I have a few Yonico bits myself.

I have a signature.
  • The covid numbers are soaring in my county right now. Fortunately my job is consider essential so I'm still at work everyday. We've had a dozen or so of our workers out for two weeks either due to testing positive or being in direct contact with someone who has. I am so tired of wearing this mask all day, everyday. I go home completely exhausted even though my job is not very physical.

My son's whole class is now at home under quarantine because one or more of his classmates tested positive. Our city is heavily tied to the aerospace industry. The downturn in air travel has put a huge hurting on our local businesses. I have several friends who have been laid off or have completely lost their job.

Since pretty much everything in IL is shut down I have had a lot of time to build speakers ;)

• This thing is starting to wear on me too. I was just telling Wolf the other day that I never realized how much I needed the few trips a year I take to geek out on speakers with you guys. With all the shit that's going on, I know I'd be faring a lot better if I had an InDIYana or a MWAF to look forward to. I'm glad things are going well for some of you and sorry things are going not so well for others - either way, I'm anxious to see all of you on the other side of this thing, hopefully sooner than later.

joeybutts
  • Wearing a mask all day, I found myself clenching my teeth. I'd go home exhausted with a sore jaw and headache... Now I catch myself and do a bit better controlling it.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Wearing a mask all day, I found myself clenching my teeth. I'd go home exhausted with a sore jaw and headache... Now I catch myself and do a bit better controlling it.

That pretty much describes what I do. Also for some reason my eyes are super dry and tired. Not to mention my sore ears (from the elastic straps). Back in March I told myself I would get used to wearing it... nope! I'm not a smoker but I find myself sneaking outside a few times a day to take a "mask" break.

• edited November 2020

We've been mask-wearing for many months now, it's just a matter of getting used to it; putting it on when you leave the house as you would put on your hat, etc. Now that our weather is getting warmer, they are getting rather uncomfortable, but that's part of squashing this thing.

We kept busy with Zoom chats, walking the dog, odd jobs around the house, lots of listening to music and making playlists, reading and de-cluttering. Gyms, libraries, theatres, concert venues, pubs, non-essential retail etc were all closed. For many weeks we had a curfew from 8pm to 5am, which was rather strange, and there was a 5km limit on travel.

It was only last week that most retail restrictions, family visits and a 25km limit on travel were lifted; we had a l-o-n-g period of isolation. But other measures such as masks, limits on indoor and outdoor gatherings, social distancing etc are still in place.

Many industries will never recover.

As I said above, friendly forums like this are another way to keep in touch and keep up the spirits, thank you all.

Geoff

• I guess I am use to wearing masks, working in a wood shop for 20+ years. Interestingly, surgical masks do a good job on filtering wood and mdf dust. I do not put the mask on, then bike commuting and staying far away from people. I do use mask then fencing saber. It's a bit harder to do sports and in 10 min surgical mask needs to be changed because it's soaking wet but it's not impossible.