Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

vifa tweeters

I have a pair of vifa dx 25 tweeters I would like to add to the rear of my Matrix. I have a sony deck and I have the hpf frequency set at 80. Now the question I have is do I need to make a crossover to protect the tweeter from damage any thoughts?

Comments

• It absolutely needs to be high passed, a single capacitor would be a starting point, and you will most likely have to attenuate the level as well.

• That tweeter is very robust, and a single cap might work. What Fc do you want to have? Something like a 10 uF cap might work. I used that tweeter with a 3rd order - 10uF - .25mH to ground and 10 uF, which resulted in a 2.4 Khz Fc.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yeah I don't know much about crossovers,I can follow a diagram. But thats about all the knowledge I have.

• I have a 10 uf cap here and a .25 winding and don;t know what fc I need to have.

• I have installed a pair of the dayton AMTPOD tweeters in the Acura using the supplied cap and have not had any issues . Side note , Im not running insane power to them just power from the Blaupunkt head unit.

• @Tony455 said:
    I have a 10 uf cap here and a .25 winding and don;t know what fc I need to have.

Just use those 2 components, with possibly a resistor to set the level. That should protect the tweeter enough. Give it a listen and see if you like it.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Why do you want to add tweeters to the rear sound stage?

• Yeah that's what I intended ,sub at the back door. 6.5 inch in 4 doors and tweeters in the front at window height.

• Just because I have an extra set and would like to see what it sounds like. And I'm getting bored. Been doing a bit of reading and they say 2.5 is a good fc for these.

• I was a certified IASCA judge for many years and no winning sound system had tweeters in the rear. Full rangers at best.

6thplanet
  • No, I don't do competions but I thought it might sound good. I like a variety of music and since it's a wagon I thought it might add to the sound stage.

• @Tony455 said:
    No, I don't do competions but I thought it might sound good. I like a variety of music and since it's a wagon I thought it might add to the sound stage.

Suby?

• So any ideas on a resistor value for that 10 uf .25mh crossover.

• Tony, does the 455 in your name come from any particular Pontiac? Your tweeter in the back idea makes me wonder if you come from an era of Jensen triaxials.

• I cetainly do, peace love and good tunes lol

• And to answer your first part, olds toranado.

6thplanet
  • If it's a 455 I'm guessing earlier model , please don't cut into any panels unless they are roached out. Makes Nick sad.

• Not enough metal in the new cars today, you would mess with the strucuarl intregrity. 69 was a good year,gas was cheap.