Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

First blush design, yay or nay

I've acquired a small pile of drivers (thanks Don!) and you know how it goes, can't help but think about where to go with them.....

I now have six of the 830869, a pair of the Wavecor 4.5" (02, NLA I believe...) mid and a pair of Airborne RT-4001.  I was thinking this may make a nice medium floorstander......  Whaddya think?

I do also have a quad of HiVi A3Ns and pair of B4N......

I'm not really looking to build anything at the moment but just hypothesizing..... unless it looks good..... ;)

Comments

• Those Wavecor have been around!
    rjj45joeybuttsPWRRYD
    I have a signature.
  • Go for it. You may find the woofers like rather large cabinets, if you're planning on using them in pairs.

I'll be using my pair of WF120BD04 with some AMT3-4 tweeters and some old Vifa M26 woofers, hopefully this summer if I don't get too busy with work.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @joeybutts
     Classic tower - 2X 830869 woofers, one WF12 and the 4001. Should be totally jamming!
    Later do a MT with the last pair of the 8" and a tweeter that can cross low (Corundum DA32 maybe?)

joeybutts
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Do you guys feel this has strong potential to be a significant improvement over an all RS setup?  I currently have full front stage of rs225/rs150/rs28 currently (khanspires L/R and CJD Dayton wtmw center).
    ever since Kim brought a peerless woofered setup to my house for a gathering I’ve wanted to give them a shot.  Lots of dynamics and punch.
  • I say go for it, what do you have to loose? Some time and wood? It's what we speaker geeks do, let the dust fly! 😁
    rjj45joeybutts
  • 6thplanet said:
    I say go for it, what do you have to loose? Some time and wood? It's what we speaker geeks do, let the dust fly! 😁
    Just concerned cause I put oodles of time into those builds and also have no where to store them, so would need to sell them off (probably at a massive loss) by the time the build ends.  

I think most know I'm all for doing as you said 😁. But I also have no design gear which I would need to procure soon to do so and if you experienced guys think this is a dramatic upgrade I’d do it. 

Or or maybe I could put these in the living room, replace the speedsters....
  • You might have a challenge getting that AMT and particular Wavecor to work together. Here is the documentation on the discontinued Wavecor: http://wavecor.com/WF120BD01_02_specifications.pdf Looks like it has an intense breakup 6-9 khz, which is awful close to where you'd like want to cross to the Airborne, say 3kish.

However if you can get them to work together, I bet they would be a noticeable upgrade from the RS150/RS28.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Holy frickin break up Batman!! Still amazes me that speakers are still designed with this sorta FR junk.
  • I would try and xover that Wavecor no higher than 2k. That breakup is +10dB!
  • Wavecor spec sheet data tends to make their drivers look worse than they are. For example, the BD03/BD04 model is more popular, so you can directly compare the spec sheet:

To 3rd party measurements from Zaph:

Or AudioXpress:

You can see there is a bit of a difference between spec sheet and reality. In the case of the BD04, there's nothing in the cone breakup that is being manifested as a HD problem lower in frequency, so I say you can crossover as high as you want as long as you can pound the response into the shape you need.
    R-Carpenter
  • Looks like the Zaph site images aren't loading properly here. You can just go to his blog and search "WF120" to take you to his testing.
  • That makes ya wonder why the manufacturer would post graphs like that. Something had to have produced that FR response.
  • Well shit, looks like this holds promise.  Guess I’ll start designing something!

thanks guys!  Maybe I’ll make this my first true design, buy a mic again and all that good stuff.
  • I tested that Wavecor 12, but I can't seem to find any of the files now. I remember that there was a breakup node, but I thought I could still Fc around 3Khz to the 4001 with no problem.
    So, @joeybutts - time to get your feet weT - you can get a Dayton Umm-6 mike for $75 and use that with ARTA or Holm.
    You can do it!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • joeybutts said:
    6thplanet said:
    I say go for it, what do you have to loose? Some time and wood? It's what we speaker geeks do, let the dust fly! 😁
    Just concerned cause I put oodles of time into those builds and also have no where to store them, so would need to sell them off (probably at a massive loss) by the time the build ends.  

I think most know I'm all for doing as you said 😁. But I also have no design gear which I would need to procure soon to do so and if you experienced guys think this is a dramatic upgrade I’d do it. 

Or or maybe I could put these in the living room, replace the speedsters....
    The Speedsters are great, but IMHO, more of a study or desktop system. For Living Room use, need something a bit larger. Here's another choice - how about a small(ish) 3 way with the 4001, Wavecor 120 and 1 of the 830869. Build a box, install the drivers, get it down to me, and I'll work out a crossover and send it back. Save the other 4 830869s for a pair of MTMs with a robust tweeter.  
  • @rjj45 ; Think I will be moving the Speedsters to the bedroom if and when this comes to fruition.

Gonna be some time before I can acquire a mic, may have a line on a DATS, so looks like I'll be getting my learn on soon......
    rjj45