Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2.5s vs. WTWs

What are your druthers?  (and if there is a link of previous discussion... thx)

Apparently 2.5s set-up minimizes the affects of shared frequency issues with wavelengths < driver separation (vs. WTW), yet WTWs with proper crossover design can perhaps better handle tw lobe tilting? 

I'd be interested in your comments / experience- thx

Comments

• Well....  Bagby came up with the .5 concept so it must be the shit.
    rjj45dcibel
  • PWRRYD said:
    Well....  Bagby came up with the .5 concept so it must be the shit.

I thought he came up with the cascaded crossover for it, not the concept of .5 itself.
    dcibel
  • Paradigm was doing it years before DIY ever heard about it, mythos notwithstanding.
    I have a signature.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Well....  Bagby came up with the .5 concept so it must be the shit.
    And he himself has more than once said he didn’t care for it as much as just a TMM two-way, which must say something. I find the extended distance to the bottom woofer on a TMM two-way to not be an issue either. I prefer my TMM two-way ten fold than when I had any iteration of a 2.5 way with the same drivers (Vifa PL / D25tg45)
  • Yeah every time I think a 2.5 is going to work a TMM is better in terms of parts and cost. If I got a big enough woofer closer to the floor it would probably work better, but then the bigger woofer makes for a crappy mid and I'm back to a 3-way.
    R-Carpenter
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • At what point up the frequency range of the mid or woofer part of the TMM or TWW does comb filtering become a problem?

• I built a 6 Peerless 6 inch SDS driver tower a few years ago as a 2.5 and loved the result.
    A 2.5 is really not that much work, and (mine) sounds good to me.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • “At what point up the frequency range of the mid or woofer part of the TMM or TWW does comb filtering become a problem?”

I don’t have measurements of 6.5s (and if someone does please post) but below are two responses of 2.3 inch drivers, each shown on-axis and horizontal off-axis response.  The one where there is little deviation the drivers are abutted next to each other, and the second the two drivers are spaced 2.3 inches apart (i.e. center-to-center 4.6 inches ~3300Hz), exhibiting significant interference (constructive / deconstructive) break at and above...

With two 6.5s above and below a tweeter with a 4 inch faceplate, the center-to-center of the Ws is 10.5 inches, as such anything above approx 1100 Hz is at and beyond 1 wavelength and this is where constructive and deconstructive impact frequency in the horizontal plane (as both W’s in a WTW, or M’s in an MTM share above and below the crossover point +/- an octave based of course upon the order of crossover).  So this perhaps shows why crossover design in WTWs (MTMs) is so critical in managing the issues caused by seperation.

rjj45