Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Goldwood 10

I haven't used any Goldwood products in some time. Wondering if any of you have personal experience with this woofer. If the specs are accurate, then I have a beautiful pair of golden oak cabinets that these will work great in. The idea is a low budget, early 80s 3way build. I will have to make new baffles, but no biggie there. 1.68 cubes gross.
http://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-10pc-4-10-heavy-duty-woofer-4-ohm--290-322

Comments

• I haven't used those, but I have used the GRS 10" sub, very nice driver. I had it in 1cf, but iirc that was a .8-.9 qtc alignment, sounded great, though, and about half the price of that goldwood
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • At that size and price, the Dayton SD270 would also be in the mix.  I have been happy with it in the Indium 7.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • As odd as it may sound, appearance is a factor on this one as well. The cabinets are 3/4" oak ply with hardwood corners. Integrated stands. I will have to make a new baffle but I can make the front into the back. 
    I will take another look at the sd270. 
  • Per JR'S suggestion, I asked MattP to pull a gw10pc from inventory and run a DATS sweep on it. Here are his results. Not far from spec really. 

Posted   Tested
    RE       3.8           4.1
    Fs      43.1        36.3
    Qms   4.25         3.84
    Qes    0.446      0.412
    Qts     0.403      0.372
    Vas     1.15        1.22
    SPL     92.7        87.9
    Mms    69.7        93.1

I am curious as to the Mms difference. The higher value does account for the lower Fs and Qts numbers but what is the difference in the original cone and this batch? Hmm perhaps they weighed the cone prior to attaching the voice coil, surround and spider? Don't know but it would kind of fly in the face of what someone was recently propagating "over there".

Still not horrible. I'll still sim it later and I think it is a viable yet unorthodox option at this point. Just something different. 

For the mid, I am considering the Dayton pa130-8. Again, something different but keeping in line with the 80s throwback look.

• I'm assuming (i have no idea, really) mms is a calculated parameter with DATS, so could it be the result of a non-broken in suspension? or maybe they have changed the cone in the past 10-15 years and nobody at PE was notified by Goldwood?
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • It affirms what I was saying in opposition to what someone "over there" was recently propagating, actually.

Mms necessarily includes X% of the spider and Y% of the surround, and is subject to gluing process variations between spider to cone, voice coil to cone, and dustcap to cone. 

That being said, the T/S are far better than I was expecting to see. I believe Ben had measured his pair of the 6.5" from that series to be wildly different between the two samples as well as compared to advertised. Then again, process variations will affect smaller drivers disproportionately. 
    greywarden
    I have a signature.
  • I am in agreement with you JR. This is one of those parameters in which there may not be an industry standard per se. One manufacturer may include the other components or a percentage of them or they may only include the cone itself. I'm not fully convinced that it is of utmost importance for modeling purposes, but may be an indication of qc if we know how the manufacturer is finding the data.