Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Anyone used the sb20pfc 8" woofer?

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-acoustics-sb20pfc30-4/

This one... contemplating 2 a side for the woofer section of a 3 way floorstander... wondering if anyone has played with them yet? The pricing at solen is too good to pass up, so now I have 4 of them sitting here... along with other options, but those are better known. Anyone?

Comments

• I have used its little brother, the SB16PFC30-8.  I built an MTM with the old RS28AS.  I believe your quad uses the same basic motor and cone material.  I thought they sounded nice.  They made really good bass in a 1 cuft vented enclosure.  I brought them to diy Iowa about 4 years ago.  No one made any comments about them to me, which I usually take away as "nothing wrong, but nothing spectacular".  I haven't modeled the 20's you have but would think they could be good for a 3 way. 
    BrannigansLaw
  • thanks! What would you compare the ones you used to? I'm assuming they're a lower class of driver than the round frame SBs or the Satoris, but not sure if they're comparable to say, Peerless nomex or SLS series...
  • I haven't used them, but they were tested by HiFiCompass.  There are a few threads about them over at PETT too.  The SB Acoustics site has round frame versions of this series of drivers in their "Coming" section.  I know some people don't care for the current frames.
  • And I used the even littler brother SB13PFC in a MTM.
    Sounded good, decent bass, smooth mids, but not in the same class as Peerless HDS or SB Satori.
    Good value, decent sound. Go for it.
    Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • Thank you both! Useful information.. I'm still weighing options, like many of you I have lots of drivers on hand and a case of analysis paralysis trying to plan out a big 'statement' 3-way. I'll post more details of the project and seek more general input as I get further along in the planning. 
    rjj45