Okay, okay, a bit misleading since I haven't done the actual "showdown", but here is what I have planned:
- 10" nominal size bass drivers aimed at Sound Quality.
- dual 2Ω or single 4Ω
- VC Diameter ≥ 2.5"
- RMS power ≥ 500W
- Vas ≤ 1.2ish ft³
- Qts ≤ 0.5ish
- X-max ≥ 12mm
- low-distortion motors
- "clean" FR out to ~500Hz (will likely H.P. somewhere in the 100Hz-200Hz range)
- < $300 each driver
Candidates thus far:
- Dayton Ultimax UM10-22 (already have)
- Dayton Reference 10" HO SVC-4 (should be here next week)
- CSS SDX10 (should be here next week)
- Adire Audio Brahma D2 (should be here next week)
- F3 in the 38-40 Hz range
- Sensitivity will be low given a woofer's traditional Fs and my requisite low Vas, but they will be implemented in multiples, as such:
- Ultimax UM10-22's would be four drivers to a box
- Reference 10 HO will be four drivers to a box
- CSS SDX would be 2 drivers to a box (Vas is a bit larger than I'd like)
- Adire Audio Brahma 10D2 would be 2 drivers to a box (too monstrous to mount more than 2, lol)
- Maximum enclosure volume = 1.5-1.6ish ft³
- They will be independently powered (separetely) from the midbass-midrange-treble via multi-kW amplifier(s), so BSC can be built into the design via more power input compared to the other drivers.
- Tuning will be via four Earthquake PR's (two on each side of the enclosure, roughly mid-30's Hz)
If anyone else has suggestions for a good candidate, please let me know. I only need extension down to 38-40Hz, so I prefer the Fs to not be too low, around 30Hz, ± a few Hz, but I do need LOUD bass since I don't listen to mickey-mouse vocalist/single-instrument solo recordings. The vast majority of the time, it's death metal that needs to drop-kick you in the chest when the double-bass drum blast-beats rip into a song, hence high power handling and a healty Xmax. I'm heavily leaning towards the four Ultimax's or Reference HO's due to the fact that I will have massive combined piston area equivalent to an ~18" cone.