Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Carver 705x

edited November 2019 in Related
Long story short, replaced the rca inputs on the 705x because the outer sleeves fell off but got the neg and pos board connections mixed up.  All was fine till I put a heavier and longer powercord on the amp and discovered the amp was not grounded to earth.  Fixed that by grounding the chassis to earth.  The amp no like, speakers loudly protested, and a puff of magic smoke came out da amp.  Think it was a resistor and have since replaced that, now I want to be sure the connections are correct.   

R1 to J2 is the positive (center lug) of the rca plug.  Got that one ... this time.  The chassis and earth ground are bridged at w1, so does it make a difference which lead goes from the board to the outer sleeve of the rca plug or chassis ground?

Shouldn't the chassis be grounded to Earth? 

Also need to find a good but affordable soldering iron.  Suggestions?     

Comments

• My advice is don't go cheap on a soldering iron/station. Weller & Hakko both have models in the $100 range that do a fine job. It might seem like a lot now, but you'll still be using it 20 years from now if you take care of it. 
  • This isn't a Hakko, but it hits all my check boxes. Used it on a couple of projects. <shrug>
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGZFSNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I have a BlackJack Solderworx RoHS soldering station, and I love it!
  • Some of those stations have a hot air gun, for what?   

And no answers to how to connect the grounds? 
  • Those are for component removal, hot air desoldering.
  • Kornbread said:
    Some of those stations have a hot air gun, for what?   

And no answers to how to connect the grounds? 
    SMD work
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That xtronic had some good reviews for the price, but I might try one of those cheapy $50 hot air/iron stations just because the hot air gun might come in handy.    
    rjj45
  • For $30 you could get a tool that you will have and use for a lifetime.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Adjustable-Soldering-Station/dp/B00AOH3W6I?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

I personally use a Hako but It was a bit spendy in comparison. 

Induction heating tips are way faster and dont slow down as much on heavy loads. Hot air guns are nice but not needed unless you get into BGA or do a lot of reflow work. A desoldering gun would be more usefull in my opinion.

• kenrhodes said:
    For $30 you could get a tool that you will have and use for a lifetime.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Adjustable-Soldering-Station/dp/B00AOH3W6I?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

I personally use a Hako but It was a bit spendy in comparison. 

Induction heating tips are way faster and dont slow down as much on heavy loads. Hot air guns are nice but not needed unless you get into BGA or do a lot of reflow work. A desoldering gun would be more usefull in my opinion.

I agree completely.  I have a Hakko station too and absolutely love it.  In my 30+ year career I've used many Weller stations and loved them all too.  That said I bought a cheap Stahl temp controlled station (not the fancy one with digital display) on sale for around $40 and it's perfectly fine for soldering crossover parts together.  I don't use it for critical work like SMD or pcb work in general but it's the one I take on the road if I need to fix a sound system cable connetion at Church.