Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Port Placement

In relation to location inside the box and the floor, what does what? 
PWRRYD

Comments

• Boundary proximity can change tuning somewhat, makes it a bit lower. It has to be a pretty close relationship, though - less than an inch or two. If your port is going to be close to an interior panel, keep that in mind. You may need to lop off an inch of the port. On one build, I deliberately installed the ports as close to two interior panels as possible to take advantage of that. 
    I have a signature.
  • Is there a way to model port position in relation to floor and box interior?    
  • I'm honestly not sure. If memory serves, some of the software can make some assumptions, though.
    I have a signature.
  • There is some port end correction factor that can be used to compensate for things like port flares, as well as boundaries. I had suggested to Jeff B some years back that allowing adjustment to the port end correction factor would be a good addition to his WBCD spreadsheet, but he didn't appear that interested.

IIRC WinISD does allow for adjustment of the end correction. The image below provides some values to work with based on the port location in the cabinet. In general you will find most software is using the 0.732 value for calculation of a straight port, which is why you might find that in most installations the port tuning works out at 10-15% shorter than what the software calculated for you, since the port is often near a boundary.

6thplanet
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The above image shows k factors for various cabinet arrangements, with a straight port assumed in all cases.

Here's a link that provides the port tuning calculations, if you want to do the math by hand.

For flared ports, a note at the bottom of that link provides some info:
    Both ends flanged: k = 0.850
    One end flanged, one end free: k = 0.732
    Both ends free: k = 0.614

Normally, k = 0.732 is assumed

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.