Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Newark>Dynavox woofers

What's the consensus on the 6" Dynavox 55-5510 honeycomb midwoofer and the 55-5515 5.25" mica woofer?  Might pick up a pair of them as the 20% off should just about offset S&H ... or might save the $ for something else.       

Comments

• Nick S (uglywoofer) used the poly 5.25 in his moondrops which sounded very good and took 1st in under 200 at mwaf this year.

I used the 6.5 poly in a build and really liked it. Nice sounding bass. Its xmax is limited on paper but never bottoms and runs out of excursion very gracefully (within reasonable power of course). I like them. 
  • I've really liked every Dynavox driver I've used.  The current sale price on the 6" honeycomb driver is better than 20%, but it looks like the promo code won't work on top of the discount.
  • You have to be kidding me.  I was going to order those and the 8" 55-5670 a month ago but the s&h killed it for me.  
  • I have the 6.5" poly paired with an XT25 and I really enjoy them. Not the most revealing, but very musical. At that sale price, it's hard to go wrong if shipping isn't too steep. At their regular price, there's some competition. Then I would personally be looking at the SB ceramics on sale for $59 at Madisound right now. I would buy them (the SBs) right now, but I have too many drivers, not enough shelf space, and not enough time.
  • I also paired mine with an xt25. I think Nick used the 3/4” xt. Must be something appealing to many about that combo.

That 55-5670 is a nice looking driver too. It’s been a really long time since I looked at the mcm drivers. I should look through the lineup again but I really don’t need more drivers..
  • I used the 5004 5.25" with the RT1.3 back in 2009 for my Vijon project. Still one of my faves.
  • Tom_S said:
    I have the 6.5" poly paired with an XT25 and I really enjoy them. Not the most revealing, but very musical. At that sale price, it's hard to go wrong if shipping isn't too steep. At their regular price, there's some competition. Then I would personally be looking at the SB ceramics on sale for $59 at Madisound right now. I would buy them (the SBs) right now, but I have too many drivers, not enough shelf space, and not enough time.
    I'm in the same boat.
    Started to think of my driver stash in terms of years - I have enough of everything on hand for at least 2 years, maybe
    3 years of builds before I run low. Gives some clarity to the obsession. Unless I see a truly great driver at 50-60% discount, I 
    have this talk with myself.  :o
    PWRRYD
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:

Unless I see a truly great driver at 50-60% discount, I 
    have this talk with myself.  :o
    That's a healthy approach. But my sanity side lost the argument a few weeks ago when those Peerless 8" HDS woofers went on sale.  ;)
    rjj45DanP
  • Was very hard to resist the mcm 8", the hds 8", the esoteric 7". Now I am only going to use what I have on hand, which is plenty or buy just in time, which means paying full price or more, but at least I will use them....
    rjj45
  • The 20% would have sealed the deal but since it doesn't cover sale prices, I just couldn't do the s&h charges from Newark.  Plus the mcm 8" 55-5670 is now only $.01 under full price.  Ordered a bunch of 15w resistors @$.45 (less than half PE's price) to build stock and a quad of the Aura ns3@$13 (almost half PE's price) for Christmas builds from Madisound.  Busy cutting mdf and gluing as we speak.        
    rjj45
  • I scooped up a quad of those MCM 55-5670's when they were on sale (~$26 each if I remember correctly).  I have at least 4 different design ideas in my head for them :)  Tom and I measured one at DIY Iowa this fall and it measured as close to factory specs as pretty much any driver I have measured.  They look like a $150 8" driver and model really great as well.  Kinda hard to believe it's a driver that came from MCM, but it is.
    rjj45
  • PWRRYD said:
    I scooped up a quad of those MCM 55-5670's when they were on sale (~$26 each if I remember correctly).  I have at least 4 different design ideas in my head for them :)  Tom and I measured one at DIY Iowa this fall and it measured as close to factory specs as pretty much any driver I have measured.  They look like a $150 8" driver and model really great as well.  Kinda hard to believe it's a driver that came from MCM, but it is.

Yeah, that's the driver I always drool at on Newark. Nice FR, copper cap, etc. Great price.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited December 2019
    MCM 55-5670 looks a lot like the Silver Flute 8", with a bit better T/S parameters and some venting in the frame behind the spider. Frequency response is very similar, and a little lower Le from the copper. Not a bad thing, the Silver Flute 8" is a pretty decent driver, I'm sure the MCM is great.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.