Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Arguably the best audio system I have heard.

Comments

• That was fun to watch.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Listening to Joe's system is an experience. It's still a puzzle to me, how the hell he got Full size Bridgeport mill and a heavy duty metal lathe in the basement. 
  • Yeah me too.  And is 3 phase service even available to homes there?  Maybe he has a big rotary phase converter.  I had the chance to buy a really nice used Bridgeport mill complete with digital readout, but it had a big 3 phase motor on it.  The phase converter would have cost more than the mill.  I'm lucky I have a couple of mills and lathes at work that I can use whenever I need.
  • That's amazing! I would love to hear his system. The only DIY horn hifi system I've ever heard was very quite surprising, despite being a very modest 2-way. 
  • That's awesome - Joe drove me back to my hotel after one of the Iron Driver contests a few years back - I should have made the time to take him up on his offer to come over and listen to his system :'(
  • Dumb questions: Are compression drivers and horns that big really advantageous in such a small listening area?  Apart from polar response, are there any other plusses for the domestic environment?   
  • Controlled dispersion IMO is the difference. Kind of interesting as you can divide speakers into those who use the room and those that don't.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Cool system, pretty talented guy. His trolly idea for the linear tonearm is pretty slick.
  • Once upon a time I built a 3 way horn system. It consisted of a folded bass horn that was published in Speaker Builder, a tractrix horn mid with a 5" JBL driver IIRC, both of those designed by Bruce Edgar, and I don't really recall what the tweeter horn was, I think just a commercial unit. This was published as a photo project in Speaker Builder ("A Horn for the Gym"). and used as the PA in a gymnastics center my daughter attended.

I don't know what became of it; I moved away, and the gym owner died. I think the system was never mounted out of the way, and was destroyed by the kids fiddling with it.

However, voices at least sounded very much like the real person's voice, at whatever volume was desired.

His system is way more refined than mine ever was, I'm sure there is no comparison. I would love to hear it.

John, did you actually get to listen to it?