Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What do YOU do with old builds?

I am pondering very seriously tearing down a few of my older builds. Some of them, no biggie. They were designs that were experiments that while they are not failures, just didn't pan out or well, I just don't really have a desire to keep. Some have had a lot of blood, sweat, and tears (mainly from my wifey) along with significant investment poured into them. 

Such is the case with my Intrepids. I love them dearly, but I don't consider them "my" design as JeffB worked up the crossovers for me. I designed the enclosures top to bottom to include the bass alignment. The finish has never been up to the sound either.

So I am going to part them out, reusing the tops for a 2way I think and the Lab12cs for something else. The bass bins are going to my friend Mike and we will try out his UM12s in there. He is going to add a minidsp to cross and eq them.

Guess after all the work that has gone into them, I am just having a hard time going through with it, but it is time.  

Comments

• I've been selling them to friends for the cost I have into them no labor. It allows me to move on and learn from the experience at no cost but my freetime which I enjoy spending in my garage anyway. 

The last few sales I have actually parted out the drivers or traded the drivers for drivers I wanted. That turned out better for me. In the past I would go completely apeshit on securing crossover parts to the board on my old builds meaning the parts aren't coming off without damage So I couldn't repurpose the full builds. Now I've juse started to zip tie and use a few precise dabs of hot glue to lock the parts on so In the future I can trade drivers and reuse all the expensive xover parts. 
  • I typically either give them away or part them out.
  • Usually part them out, sell or trade the drivers, hoard the crossover parts, and continue on with the obsession. None of my local, non-diy practicing friends give a shit about speakers (or at least parting with money to acquire speakers) so, yeah. 
    I have a signature.
  • I've given plenty away. The only thing I ask from them is that if they no longer want them to bring the speakers back to me. So far, no one has.

Decision made. I shall commence with the decommission of the Intrepids and reallocate said components. Maybe as early as tomorrow.  
  • From one standpoint, I can understand your plight. However I always expressly look at each build as a transitory stepping stone in my path down the hobby. I give the value to each in only that moment, in a limited capacity. Since I have that attitude I tend to tear down builds readily. Only the Kozo remain because they ended up in someone else's hands.

All this said I have no answer, as I myself have told my family and friends several times that if they ever want speakers - come to me!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I'll take unwanted builds ;) I have enough storage space for many more speakers at the house :)