Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Cabrini EXR

JR, I stumbled across a thread on PETT Called "things to come" where you discussed building the  Cabrini redux but add the GRS 10SW-4, to the bottom end. Is this a project you finished?

I'd be really interested in building these if there were some details you could share.

Those GSR drivers really interest me as they seem like a great value.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• I never finished, the cost was too great to integrate the 10". 
    I have a signature.
  • That's a bummer.. 
  • Probably more feasible with a couple of plate amps, to be honest. The Cabrini have a natural roll off around 70Hz, so would be easy to integrate with a powered sub. 

Sadly, for whatever reason, plate amps have not really kept pace with driver pricing in that they are still relatively expensive to the DIY'er compared to outright buying a commercial subwoofer. 

As willing as I am to throw more in crossover parts than a set of drivers is worth - in this case it became quite copper heavy to the point a 100 watt plate amp was the same price and offers considerably benefit over the passive arrangement. That begged the question of stepping up a few dollars to something like the Dayton Classic subwoofer line, etc etc. 

I ultimately couldn't justify the project, as intriguing as it would have been. 
    I have a signature.
  • A lot of HT receivers have very capable  sub outputs that could work with a 2 channel amplifier. Could be a nice option.
  •  I have a 2 Ch sub amp sitting here, It's a Artison RCC three hundred that I picked up at the goodwill, I can't find much for specs but seems to have decent power I tested it for a bit with my car subs and it pushed a pair of jl 10's well.

Maybe I'll  build some towers that house the cabrini sealed up top with a ported 10" in the bottom. I could use a Denon Avr-3801 for the top and the Artison amp for the bottom.

Does that GRS sub work without a crazy big box if one goes ported?
    kenrhodes
  • Just throw it in a 1.5 - 2 cubic foot box and let 'er rip.
    I have a signature.