Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (5)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Pseudo Hsu

edited December 2019 in DIY
I picked up some good deals on the buyout Hsu stuff at the mwaf tent sale this year. They only had one of the 1200LP sub drivers, wish they had more. The normal buyout price is $80, this one was $35. I assume it is because the dust cap rotation is off, so either the logo or screw holes are off, you pick, I went with a level logo.

Anywho, I also picked up three of the 350w Bash plate amps for $15 each (??!!!!!).

I modeled a box, trying to balance keeping the driver in mechanical limits regardless of where the vtf switch was set (hsu vtf is variable tuning frequency and the vtf subs come with two three inch ports with a plug. The switch is either one port open or two, exchanging high output or low f3. I assume it is simply a boost switch.). 

I built it with one port that would work in either switch position. Box is braced 3/4” mdf with a 1.5” baffle. Port is a 3” precision flared, and finish is rustoleum spray on bed liner.

Thing is a bit of a bottom feeder, but sounds clean. I have heard hsu subs before and always attributed them to having clean low bass.

This 1200LP driver is actually a car driver from what I gather. It is no joke. Clean, silent (and long), excursion. Very nice and worth the $80, for car or home. Highly recommend driver. 

Amp was going to be a bargain if it even turned on, much less did what it was supposed to for $15. Seems perfect and plenty of power. No idea why they were $15.

Overall awesome sub for $50 worth of parts. If I did it from scratch I would choose a non-boost amp and tune a little differently.

jr@macGowatajanes6thplanet

Comments

• Pretty awesome, even at 4x the price you paid. <envy>
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • You really got a steal of a deal! They had to lose money on those plate amps.