Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Potential theme build event at Iowa 2020...

edited December 2019 in DIY
...discuss here. Open forum. No bad ideas, most concept will be considered seriously. Let's keep in mind that the laid back atmosphere is one of the core concepts behind the MAC events, as well as the idea that overt competitiveness is just not our thing. I will likely steer this to happen on the Friday night portion, but will meet with BK and JP to discuss logistics etc. 

To get things started, I will mention a few opinions. The designs should be completely open source. I am not concerned with repeatability - so NLA stuff and complicated construction is cool by me. Whether a particular driver is still on the shelf or not is irrelevant when someone is exploring a concept etc, and I like to think an event like this could be embraced as a means to stimulate discussion on design theory etc. If someone chooses to 3D print a complex waveguide, for example, the profile and the machine code should be open source - and it might be fun to challenge the designer to describe his (or her) design process, stuff like this. 

Anyways, just remember we do this for fun and to pool our knowledge. 

I have a signature.
hifiside

Comments

• I like a theme because it makes me use up the drivers I have around.  The fewer rules the better.  The $200 3-way sounded good to me. 

I also like the dirt cheap theme like $100 per pair anything goes. I have no opinion on passive or DSP, other than I'm going to need a beer if it takes over 10 minutes to hook it up.  
    PWRRYDdynamohifisideDanP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • The chances of me being able to be there are less than zero, so not sure if my suggestions are welcome, but...

What about one of two things we don’t do very often - single driver (including the challenge of getting adequate bass like a rear loaded / folded horn or TL), or a (cost restricted) 4-way. 
  • ....other than I'm going to need a beer if it takes over 10 minutes to hook it up.  
    I like your thinking 
  • I like per driver cost rather than entire build cost as this lends to large line arrays or multiples. I am looking to use existing drivers, and line arrays will use up quite a few of them.... ! The only question is how do I get them there and carry them in. I am flexible on amplification too... 
  • I like the cheap idea. But I’d be open for anything. I
  • edited December 2019
    ^ What he said.

Although I'm partial to $45 max per driver and must be a three way.
    PWRRYD
  • Would a coax mid/tweet plus woofer constitute a three way?
  • Would a coax mid/tweet plus woofer constitute a three way?

I don't see why it wouldn't. A tweeter, mid, and woofer are all present.
  • if you can get three of them to play different frequencies and make noise... they are transducers after all... magnet voicecoil and diaphragm after all...
  • For those who like to plan, try a $200 3-way by using only one brand of drivers, like all Dayton or all Peerless, HiVi etc.  I thought it would be easy, but not really for anything decent.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited December 2019

If you used all Peerless drivers there would have to be some leeway in the naming, as some Peerless drivers are now called Tymphany, even though they're the same driver. 

I could never enter one of these competitions, but I really like the concept of building a great speaker with a set budget, specified "iron driver", tweeter or whatever. I like the idea that the drivers should be available as I was inspired to build one of the fine speakers in the "Best Iron Driver 2012" competition: Ron E's MTM with the Peerless 830656 mid.

Geoff

• For those who like to plan, try a $200 3-way by using only one brand of drivers, like all Dayton or all Peerless, HiVi etc.  I thought it would be easy, but not really for anything decent.
    Yep, seems like every manufacturer has a gap in their lineup to preclude that goal. 
    I have a signature.
  • Probably could if you were allowed to use "sale" prices ;)