Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Time for an upgrade ;)

13»

Comments

• @6thplanet said:I still like having a CD player built in, I'm with ya on old school.😎

Yeah! CDs are still awesome!

6thplanet
  • edited August 2020

It took a while, but my fancy new car stereo has arrived! Huzzah! I'm still waiting on a plastic dash bit, but with any luck that will show up by the weekend and I can get this sucker installed. It looks very nice in person, let's hope it performs like the quality Sony car gear of the 90's, not like the junk Xplod stuff of the 00's.

Amp IC is a Toshiba TCB501HQ FWIW, nothing to write home about but good enough for the car. I thought car audio companies were starting to smarten up and rate the power of these things properly at 17-19Wpc, but this receiver is still rated at the exaggerated 4*55W. That amp IC does 29Wpc at 14.4V and 10%THD, so probably 20W or less for distortion free output. Max power at 15.2V is 49W which I can assure you won't sound pleasant and still short of the 55W advertisement. I digress...I am glad that it is using the rear of the device as a heat sink, a lot of them now use a small chunk of aluminum with a fan now, which I am sure is just asking to get clogged up with dust and fail.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited August 2020

I bought this nice peice of double din dash bump, but it came pre-mofified, someone had cut the opening larger. Still waiting for a replacement to arrive, but I installed the stereo as-is, doesn't look half bad if you ignore the bezel gap. GF is happy with it, much better than the bluetooth FM transmitter she'd been using.

jhollander6thplanetJasonPSilver1omo
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.