Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

3-way Impedance Question

Hi Guys,

I'm finishing up my last project for PE, and I have an impedance question for all. Please take a look at this impedance curve and tell me if I'll run into any trouble with amp clipping. The crossover points are about what I envisioned them to be, the phase tracking is great, and the overall FR is flat within 2.5dB. Third order electrical on the woof and tweet, 2nd on the mid. The lowest point is 2.6R at 1,200Hz. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• hongrn said:
    Hi Guys,

I'm finishing up my last project for PE, and I have an impedance question for all. Please take a look at this impedance curve and tell me if I'll run into any trouble with amp clipping. The crossover points are about what I envisioned them to be, the phase tracking is great, and the overall FR is flat within 2.5dB. Third order electrical on the woof and tweet, 2nd on the mid. The lowest point is 2.6R at 1,200Hz. Thanks everyone.

Hi,
       If it was at +/-10deg or less I would chalk it up as tough, but not a deal breaker... But at -30, its pretty heavy. 

I would not see a 4 ohm stable having trouble, but recievers and chip amps may get grumpy. You will still draw a fair amount of current at 2.6R at moderate or higher volumes alone if the load was purly resistive, but its fairly reactive. Make sure you use a high wattage resistor on that mid. 

In short. Not ideal, but do-able. Expect heat. IMHO. 
  • If fixing it will result in a compromise of a design goal, I would leave it. If you can soften it a bit and it doesn't get in the way of what you are ultimately going for, then massage a bit. 
  • I'd be interested to see the mid circuit
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Well, after a couple days worth of work, I believe this is going to work well. Lowest point on the impedance curve is about 3.5R. Time to build this XO. Thanks guys for your feedback.

Mzisserson
  • Nice work! Looks like, too at minima the phase is only -15 or so too. 
  • Thanks Mike. By the way, congrats on making the 2017 Design Team.
    Mzisserson
  • I too would like to see the circuit.  What is the driver compliment?
  • Sorry for the late response. I had to finish my third and last project (wayyyy late). Here's a few pics of the system. Drivers: DS270 10" woofers, DC50FA midrange, Beston RT002A ribbons. It took me a week to get the impedance above 4 ohms and not sacrifice FR and phase. Great sounding combo!

Facegreywarden
  • Love it! 
    I have a signature.
  • What are you using for your schematic? it looks handy instead of paper notes lol
  • The schematic is from WinPCD. I just save it to a JPG file and erase the non-populated circuits. It's a heck a lot better than doing it by hand.
  • Oh, now that is a cool speaker. well done! 
  • Wow those look great and that off-axis response is killer!
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Thanks everyone. I love the way they sound. The whole write up should be in the Project Gallery soon.