Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New leap in audio awesomeness

Check out this cool setup

Featuring: “outstanding resonance”, “ultra super woofer”, and “air quake bass”!

Blends seamlessly and tastefully in any decor

Vanishingly low distortion 
squamishdrocrjj45

Comments

• Wow! 4kW at only 30% THD, and high WAF? Sign me up! ;)
    Gowa
  • Ya - blends into any decor. As long as it is modern rave B)
  • Ya - blends into any decor. As long as it is modern rave B)
    Or a dark cave!!! Those a hella awesome pow bang !
    squamishdroc
  • New version has the ultra-super-platinum-diamond-quantum woofer
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited March 2020
    Ok so a hijack to my own thread with a legitimate question..

Ignoring this 30% thd pos.. how can an amplifier make more power than the outlet can provide? I get that a 20A circuit isn’t gonna immediately trip at 20.1A, but factoring ability to dump more than 20A for peaks, and the amplifier’s internal caps dumping for a split second, I still don’t understand how amps can be rated at multiple times more than the 2400W the outlet can provide.

So I would consider Crown to be a pretty legit amp company and some of them are rated at 3750w, 6kw “20ms burst”. This would indicate to me the 3.75kw is somewhat RMS, 6kw peak. The same amp is rated at 9kw at 8ohms bridged.

Even if the power company is a little loose and you are getting 130V, and the ability to pull 30A for bursts without throwing the breaker, that is still only 3900w peak at 100% efficiency, right? I doubt Crown has discovered free energy, so how does this work?
  • We often called unrealistic ratings "ILS" ratings. If Lightning Strikes.

In reality the stored energy in the amplifiers capacitors would be what would give the boost beyond outlet power; if the amplifier hit that power output...
  • Crows offers this spreadsheet on their site when you look up the cdi6000, might help.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited March 2020
    The 9000 and 12000 are likely rated with 240VAC input. The Macrotech 5000 of days old class AB and weighing in at about 80#, was made for 30A current supply from 120VAC (240VAC- if you wanted to yield full power). Most people would use the RV adapters for the stock plugs so they would work on an Edison duplex. Even if not- the factory plugs were stock wired for 240VAC.

Last I knew, Andy Archias still works with Paul DeMond and Ben Cooper. Andy designed the Macrotech 5000, and as Ben/Paul have told me, Andy still has the prototype alive and working at his home. I asked him about his design at the only InDIYana he's attended, and he said plainly; "It was a good design, and very wide bandwidth."

Yes- Crown power ratings are legit. You just have to supply them with the proper juice to get it.

The story goes that there was a Crown Macrotech 10000 running the old sound system at the Indiana Motor Speedway, and it was not plugged in, but hard-wired at 240VAC (may have been 480VAC), IIRC. Crown actually initially started out making the amplifier for the MRA medical scanning machines, and then got into public address as a result.
  • Interesting info on the higher voltage. Thanks for the info guys.
  • edited March 2020

Don’t know if I’d ever jump for mid/tweeter use, but I’m curious for possible use as woofer amps (for the low-pass in an active bi-amp setup) what are your thoughts / experience on just how quiet are 'pro-amps' and these crown fans?  thx

• Depends on the model. XLS Drivecore are quiet, XTI not so much, Comtech 1600/Mac 3600 Matt modded for reduced noise. Mac 5000 weren't bad. 
    tajanes
  • A few home installed I've seen put the pro-audio amp in the next room, like in the furnace room or under the stairs, so the fan noise isn't a problem.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Can switch the fan out for a silent one. 
    rjj45
  •   I have fan swapped a few pro amps. To be honest don't expect much gain without balanced inputs.
  • In other words volts in matters on both sides, power and signal.