Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Music thread for Coronavirus Quarantine shut-ins

13»

Comments

• Agreed on Amaranthe and Nightwish, love those two bands.

jhollander
  • Some absolutely insane guitar work in this one.

• For stunning guitar work, I recommend having a looking at this:

Recorded 50 years ago, live, no overdubs, just genius: thank you, Mr Hendrix.

I would have listed his Band of Gypsys "Machine Gun", but it's been removed from YouTube; a shame, as it's (IMHO, of course) the single greatest guitar solo ever recorded.

Geoff

S7910
  • This isn't new either and is rough and incomplete, but it made me smile when I foundit: Jimi Hendrix and Dusty Springfield on TV together, the funk of Jimi's guitar is right in the groove:

He also did a great version of Summertime Blues, but the quality is miserable.

Geoff

• I would have listed his Band of Gypsys "Machine Gun", but it's been removed from YouTube; a shame, as it's (IMHO, of course) the single greatest guitar solo ever recorded.

Geoff

That video comes and goes on YT.  The video is gritty and the sound muddy, but I have to agree: it's the single greatest guitar solo ever.  Here's the story about it that I was told: Hendrix played two consecutive nights at the Fillmore East.  In the first show Hendrix was doing all the showmanship tricks (playing behind his back and with his teeth, etc.) and not concentrating on the music.  After that show Bill Graham angrily confronted Jimi for all his antics and told him to just go out and play his music in the next show.  The rest is history.  The song "Who Knows" from that same night is also great.

• If you don't like jazz, this track might convert you: great drum solo and this live version swings, too:

Put that together with Miles Davis' "So What" and you get a 15 minute jazz 101. 

They're 60 or so years old but great music doesn't date.

Geoff

squamishdroc
  • Wolf said:
    Annette is my favorite Nightwish lead singer, too bad she only did 2 of them. Dark Passion Play with the symphony is a masterpiece.
    I think Floor is more talented overall, but Annette did an unbelievable job on both Dark Passion Play and Imaginarium.  I really liked her voice too.  I actually lost my Imaginarium CD a few years back, but since I ordered the new album, I had to re-obtain Imaginarium back as well.  The end to "The Poet & the Pendulum" is within my top #3 for female vocal melody and emotion.  I would have liked to see 2 or 3 more albums with Annette to see where it would have taken them, but I can't complain with where they have gone with Floor.

I heard some of Amaranth's stuff, but I never got into them.  Talened? Yes.  The difference is Tuomas Holopainen.  Flat out music genius.

• For a limited time , like the McRib........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqIEeyOz4w
    jhollander
  • I made a 2CD compilation for friends and family, two of whom contracted the virus but got through it; they are over 70 so were lucky.

I won't paste the YouTube links, if that's OK as it will take up too much space, but here's my selection of tracks to (I hope) bring a smile or two.  Silly stuff, happy stuff and something semi-serious.

Disc One

Here Comes the Sun The Beatles

Big Yellow Taxi Joni Mitchell

Hairspray Rachel Sweet

Wiggle Wiggle Bob Dylan

Brown Eyed Girl Van Morrison

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love Solomon Burke

Till There Was You The Beatles

I Feel Fine The Beatles

What I Like About You The Romantics

Bang on the Drum Todd Rundgren

Minnie the Moocher Cab Calloway and the Blues Brothers