Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

"The Horse Pill"

I've been on a BT radio build tear lately, trying to sell and probably will end up giving away, but this is my latest and perfect timing with all my new learning on measuring and designing and such since this uses a one-off driver with an nd28f tweeter.

Called the horsepill cause I wanted to do a cylindrical translam and then figured I'd round the top and bottom, made me think of the Beats Pill, but this is huge compared at a foot tall and 6.5" in diameter.  Uses true Baltic birch, zebrawood and purpleheart.  Tung oil finish.  Will have a charge port and flush-mount orange led power button using the dayton mono 60w amp.  

Silver1omosquamishdroc6thplanetrjj45

Comments

• Looking good - love that purple heart!
    joeybutts
  • If the screws bother you.  The local hardware store should have several different shades of bronze, copper, etc. plated screws.  If you want to paint the screws hit the screw heads with a torch until the coating burns off.  It allows the paint to stick much better and if you get stainless screws it will turn them blue'ish.
    I wanna see what the purple and zebra look like after they're finished.    
    jr@macjoeybutts
  • Thanks guys!  Got one more coat of tung to get on today and then get electronics in.  Will post pics finished tonight.

Screws don't bother me I think because they are countersunk.
  • Pretty awesome conception and realization!
    joeybutts
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Thanks Don!
    Well...... not sure what happened but I'm a 1/32" too tight and the baffle won't slide in from the front, so some massaging tomorrow.  Can't believe the tung oil built up that thick. 
    Current state....

squamishdrocdcibelhifisideGowa
  • Looking good!
  • Let's get measuring!!!

• Well, I hate the stainless on the tweeter but like it in the baffle.  
    squamishdrocGowa
  • The look of the screws is easy enough to change.  I think it's sweet and definitely original.  How expensive is the purple heart?  Ya know, you could do a bass module with the same theme.  If the steps on top of the pill also reside on bottom you could make an inverted stepped receiver for the top half to sit in then the top could be turned independently of the bass module.  It could then be called a horse pill w/bottle.         
    Silver1omojoeybutts
  • Yeah, I'll score some black #6s....
    Shoot, I cant remember off the top of my head, it's been a couple years since I bought that piece, used it in my heliumbt radio, a couch arm tray and something else......and this was the last of what I had.  Unfortunately the purple doesn't last long but goes to a beautiful reddish brown but that will eventually go to I think gray.....cant remember off the top of my head.  But if you sand it back down should bring it back to life.  
    That's a sick idea!  Though toting a bass module along with this may be a bit much for portability 🤣🤣🤣  but could be cool for a limited space orientation..... maybe one day I'll do it, I really like the idea for different factor.  Gotta finish that high end two way first.....
  • edited April 2020
    Install some kind of docking/charging station in the bass portion.  For a portable just grab the top pill and go, for in home or office, dock it with the bottle for a full range.
    So this is solid wood not ply and it is purple all the way through?  Will it still turn gray if it is cleared w/poly/lacquer?   

• Damn you're good. 😁
    Correct, solid purpleheart.  I dont use any ply anymore unless it is true Baltic birch for basic cab construction.  There are some UV protectant clears but none that are 100% as far as I know as of a year or two ago when I researched.....