Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

"Scan Speak" 10" buyout subwoofer

edited April 2020 in DIY
We all know this is a Vifa from their time when they owned Peerless and Scan Speak, they just contracted SS to build shit and put a Peerless label on it sometimes. Anyways, using the PE supplied T/S parameters I came up with a couple interesting alignments. Both use a pair of the drivers in an enclosure due to them being 8 ohm. Due to me being an idiot and wanting some serious subwoofers for my basement someday, I bought a quad of them. Beautiful build quality, understated appearance from the outside. Heavy, etc. 

So here is a pair in 45L, sealed, 19Hz highpass added (generally typical of plate amps), 50Hz low pass added:

This alignment is good for a F3/6/10 of 27/23/19. This is pretty damn good, if you ask me. 105db @40Hz, with some boundary gain it should yield tactile bass into the low 20's at moderate amplifier power. Rated RMS power is 150W per, so keeping within thermal limits leaves some air movement on the table. On the other hand, it is likely stepping up to a 500W amp would not put the drivers in harms way under normal operating conditions. That could allow the final 3mm of excursion to be utilized during demanding passages. I would likely stick with the 300W plan, myself. The extra db or 2 of output is likely not something I would miss. 

Here it is in a vented alignment (probably not going to build them this way, the port would be longer than this quarantine feels). Same filters applied, larger enclosure:

This alignment is good for F3/6/10 of 22/18/16 without exceeding Xmax or thermal ratings. Moving the infrasonic filter downwards to 14Hz yields F3/6/10 of 20/17/15 - but Xmax is exceeded around 15Hz. Not sure that matters tooooo much as there appears to be greater than 20mm of one-way mechanical throw, what the pro audio guys call Xlim "mechanical". There is a huge bumped back plate on these. 

So while this is not the cheapest way to get high quality sub-30Hz bass due to requiring a pair of drivers to get the most out of an amp, these are pretty fucking legitimate drivers. 

I didn't buy any other ersatz Scan Speak drivers, not too impressed at the pricing on them. In hindsight, I should have bought a pair of RSS 15" instead of the quad of these, but cant have that back at this point - plus, a dual opposed sealed subwoofer just sounds like a killer little project. 
I have a signature.
squamishdroc

Comments

• Or however the ownership chain worked back then. 
    I have a signature.
  • Did you do any models with a PR.  I know cost is a lot higher vs a port, but if the design series from PE or get a discount on the CSS PR's, might be quite the duo.
  • The sheer amount of PR needed is costly. Would need two 10" with ~26mm of excursion, or a single 12-15" with similar excursion. 
    I have a signature.
  • Actually, it looks like a single 12" Dayton RSS passive with 150G of added mass might do the trick. Those are only $90, so not an excessive cost addition. 

Figure $250 for drivers plus $90 for passive plus ~100 for a Yung 300W with no boost plate amp, plus $75 for cabinet gives me a pretty nice subwoofer, actually. I'll likely go with a pro audio amp instead of a plate amp when I do this, but still. Not bad. 

Not sure the few extra db of output over the sealed is something I would ever miss, but for theorizing sake this is pretty nice. 
    I have a signature.
  • You might be able to do the same thing with the CSS APR 12 and save a little money. tuning is a little higher but it has more xmax.