Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (5)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Soundbar Reviews

As part of my attempt to have a wide array of test subjects I was shopping some Soundbars yesterday and decided to see if anyone was actively testing them as to make sure I avoided any significant overlap in my own future tests.  I came across this site:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar

The site states they are ad-free and buy all their own equipment and test samples (none provided from the mfg) and in order to keep that model you must pay to see reviews after a limited number of free views.

While their tests aren't necessarily "standard" in the way we expect (for example, they do not make any attempt at quasi-anechoic measurements and instead opt for a 16-microphone array inside a makeshift 'room' (shown below) and average the results) they do seem to have a pretty good method of their own and a lot of tests completed with the same procedure which makes, if nothing else, for a good comparative base to peruse.

Go browse.  Make sure to read their section on how they test so you have an understanding.  Here's an example page to start with: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/samsung/hw-q90r#page-test-results

At any rate, I found the site interesting and thought I'd share in case you guys were interested as well.

https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/soundbar/lg/sk9y/sk9y-in-test-large.jpg

Comments

• I wonder how the Bose would have faired with it's sub and rears. They don't sell as a package, so that definitely hurt against all the top ones that do. I think our sub is pretty nice, all be it crossed to high, which is a normal thing when the highs in the soundbars are little speakers.
  • The wife and I auditioned several inexpensive (less than $300) soundbar systems a while back. I am generally unimpressed with our experience. The one review I read on that site was the linked Samsung, the measurements indicate a reasonably well thought out system - I would enjoy the chance to do some listening to that one. 

My issue with soundbars is usually due to the Bose effect - sacrificing a wide enough range LR for physical size. The holes in the upper bass response that a good 3-3.5" driver in a proper cabinet would cover are usually too great for me. I know given enough time that my brain would fill in the blanks, but these days I have to be careful with how I allocate brain cells. 

In all seriousness, with the modern state of cheap watts, cheap DSP, and reasonably high end drivers at ridiculous prices I expect soundbars to approach traditional HiFi quality over the near future. I understand their appeal lies largely in small size and uncomplicated setups, but a simple mic and room EQ routine out of the box can be made painless and quick - Audyssey has demonstrated that over the last ten or so years. I am, for one, actually kind of excited about the possibilities of efficient Class D, cheap DSP, and mass produced high end drivers becoming "the norm". It might start killing DIY HiFi as an affordable hobby, but the tradeoff will be availability of DIY kits to build Atmos systems at home. Fun times. 
    I have a signature.