Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Couple interesting things related to Dynavox

2»

Comments

• If anything, it's a revised 9960 or 9970, which were aluminum domes, and likely the foundation to spring the RS28A from. The RS28A has 3 short circuit paths in the motor, IIRC. Basically at the time it was released, no other tweeter had that claim on the market.

Now, the Usher 9950 is a copy of the SS 9700, but that is another story.
  • Isn't the low xmax just due to them being an underhung design? I agree the Lw6004 I have kick some ass👍🏻
  • I never knew the Silkie was a Morel copy. I might have to try one some day. I like the MDT20 for what it was - a pleasant sounding, inexpensive tweeter. I do recall getting a bad one in the pair, but PE took care of it.
  • Tom_S said:
    I never knew the Silkie was a Morel copy. I might have to try one some day. 
    Don't do it...I might have a pair to make a dipole tweeter, if not I can pass them on to you
    ani_101
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • The Silkie is only a copy in the looks Dept. It looks like a Morel.
  • 6- I guess it is a mistake in ad copy, and I didn't know until last year that all the D'vox are actually overhung woofers.
  • edited April 2020
    Wolf said:
    The Silkie is only a copy in the looks Dept. It looks like a Morel.

I though they tried to mimic the frequency response of the MDT20 with the Silkie.  If you look at Zaph's sight and compare the two is looks like they may have tried but missed by a little bit.  I thought they used to compare the Silkie to Morel in the ad copy for the Silkie too.
  • Wolf said:
    6- I guess it is a mistake in ad copy, and I didn't know until last year that all the D'vox are actually overhung woofers.
    Huh, yup, always advertised as under. Maybe they're just conservative on that spec? Maybe stated one way? They sure sound pretty good.
  • Nobody likes a know-it-all.  
    6thplanet
  • edited April 2020
    I don't see that underhung claim anymore on PE sales page or the datasheet, I think someone made the correction. Anyway, to be the know-it-all that nobody likes, if you pull up the datasheet for the LW6004HR-N, they spec a voice coil length of 10.9mm and a magnetic gap of 6mm, so that's clearly an overhung motor and the xmax spec of 2.45mm is the mechanical definition of (coil length - magnetic gap)/2, not overstated like some manufacturers do as the motor often still functions fairly well a bit over the 2.45mm point.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited April 2020
    The discrepancy was mainly on the old slab-framed units, and they used to be plainly stated in the PE catalog as underhung for all 3 of the old drivers. To my knowledge, we didn't have the datasheets for the older units like we do the current ones. Up until my stated 'year ago', I thought the older ones were underhung, and the newer framed ones were overhung. I don't remember whom or what corrected my understanding, but it stemmed from Nick's Moon Drops using one of each and the information that followed.

It's a shame the 8" is NLA.
  • dcibel said:
    I don't see that underhung claim anymore on PE sales page or the datasheet, I think someone made the correction. Anyway, to be the know-it-all that nobody likes, if you pull up the datasheet for the LW6004HR-N, they spec a voice coil length of 10.9mm and a magnetic gap of 6mm, so that's clearly an overhung motor and the xmax spec of 2.45mm is the mechanical definition of (coil length - magnetic gap)/2, not overstated like some manufacturers do as the motor often still functions fairly well a bit over the 2.45mm point.
    I love Lyeco cut sheets.
    I have a signature.
  • Isn't Peerless India out of business?
  • Their website is dead. 
    I have a signature.
  • Really? Wondering where the RS52's are coming from then....
  • China?