I would like to tackle a Pro sound high SPL Build. This is new for me and quite different from the usual 2/3 way small bookshelves/floor standers that I usually build.
So, to state the goals for this build and for my learning....
1. Pro sound high SPL design
2. Not just high SPL, but high fidelity too (since at the end of the day this will be still used in the home environment)
3. Would like to try compression drivers and horns
I hope to make it to Iowa this year and hopefully JR brings along the PHL 15". So this then becomes the anchor for the bottom end of the build. I was planning to go with a 3 cubic feet vented enclosure about 18" wide, 9-10 deep and 36-40 tall depending on the box model and what else needs to go in the box, f3 in the mid 40's or so...
Recently I acquired a pair of 1.4" compression drivers, if they can be used, great, if not will look at other options - everything else is open ended at this point. The PHL can take a 2" compression driver since it can be used as a coax, so using a 1.4" to 2" adapter is a possibility.
I can go passive or active and have high powered pro amps to power these and a bunch of mini DSPs and can hammer XO and responses into shape.
- Is there something I need to look at specifically design wise or treat it like an usual large build
- Lots of question regarding CD and horns and types and what does what and what should i go for
- Does this have to be a 3 way - the CD seems to start rolling off around 12k, is a super tweeter needed / required / or usually omitted
so, where do i start and what do i look for? The actual build will happen in fall, but i wanted to get a head start since this has a lot of unknows for me.