Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New purchase - Hakko FX-888D

My long time Weller WES51 finally bit the dust so I bought a Hakko from Amazon.  Besides its Fisher Price looks it performs better than my old Weller station.  Good deal too at only $92 and free shipping.
Mzissersonbrek81kennyk

Comments

• Nice, on my list.... but then i don't do much soldering.... but that might change with amp builds...
  • That is a sweet iron, the heat time and stability make it easy to use
  • Yes, I am very impressed with how fast it heats up.
  • = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • That does look good, I will have to keep that one in mind. 

On a related note, anyone make a suggestion on a good, basic unit (ie cheap) for a kids first unit? I will be buying probably 5-6 of them at once.
  • That does look good, I will have to keep that one in mind. 

On a related note, anyone make a suggestion on a good, basic unit (ie cheap) for a kids first unit? I will be buying probably 5-6 of them at once.
    What are you gonna teach them to solder?
  • Can't go wrong with that cheap model over at Parts Express (I am sure there are identical models all over the internet), plus replacement tips are cheap. I have been using mine for years, now. Just have not seen the need to upgrade since it refuses to die. 
    I have a signature.
  • http://www.parts-express.com/stahl-tools-ssvt-variable-temperature-soldering-iron-station--374-100

There, it is even on sale right now. It ain't no Weller, much less a Hakko - but works great. 
    I have a signature.
  • brek81 said:
    That does look good, I will have to keep that one in mind. 

What are you gonna teach them to solder?
    i am developing a mid/high school level speaker design and build class. So they will help in the "design" (I'll actually already have it done but will walk them thru the process), glue up, measure, use software for crossover design. Then of course build the crossover. 

My family is part of a home school co-op so any chance I get, I try to teach a class on something. And this is a chance to use what others have given to me to give back.
    kennykJasonP
  • I'd second jr's vote, its an iron that will do about anything. You could save a little with pencel irons, but are giving up some flexability and convinence. That sound like an awesome program!
  • Yes, absolutely nothing wrong with the cheap Stahl.  I have one that I think I only paid $12 for.  It is the one I take on the road if I need to.  The overall diameter of its pencil iron is a little large for precision work and it is a bit clunky.  But for speaker building xos it is more than good enough.
  • Thats the one I was considering so thanks guys. 

This is the first step for the class. I have a few other classes planned as well. 
  • Nice soldering station. Have mine for a couple of years, wouldn't trade it.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I wanted to get a Hakko, but shipping to Mexico was insane and local prices even more. So a Weller wes51 was ordered.
  • Hey, just got a Hakko 888D. thanks Craig for this thread. My old iron jut wasn't working well. It just got delivered today.... will take it for a spin in the afternoon. looks pretty cute for sure!
  • I got the stahl PE station one with adjustable temp. Its held up good and gets pretty hot fast it was $14 bucks. I will get that purple unt hakko  its been on my list for a year or two. The Ave guy on youtube loves it.
  • ok, it get hot fast and mels the solder, but i am having trouble trying to heat the wire and get the wires to melt the solder. Some places, the wires twists are pretty fat, having 16 ga copper speaker wires, some resistors and caps twisted together and i am trying to heat this gigantic mess of wire and getting the solder to coat it.

Any tips for soldering such twisted wires?
  • Flux helps alot and you can pre-tin the tip. Melt solder on the tip and then hold on mess of wires  to apply it a little faster.
  • edited February 2017
    I tried the flux, it helped, but also sizzled and smoked a lot.... I need to practice a bit more and get better at it. 
  • Tin the tip. I've had no problems with mine. ;)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    Tin the tip. I've had no problems with mine. ;)

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to put some solder on the tip and apply it to the joint to get the heat to flow faster. You can also apply solder to the junction between the tip and the joint to start the solder joint but you want to transition to applying solder to the joint itself because the rosin in the core cleans the joint.

Speaking of solder, I just decided to go lead free.  I asked a good friend who knows more about electronics than god for a recommendation and he sent me this link. I haven't used it yet but he works for a company in Silicone Valley where cost is no object and this is what they use. https://tinyurl.com/jutqvd3

If you want lessons Ani just come on down. 

Ron
  • Sure will. And, I only use lead free which tend to have a higher melting point.