Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B BMR

2»

Comments

• @ani_101 said:
    carbon arrow?

Archery arrows are some of the most inexpensive carbon rods you can find.

ani_101
  • @JasonP said:

@kenrhodes said:
    Yes, it could be done. I have been thinking about leaving holes in the walls that would fit a carbon arrow. That would stiffen the walls and wouldnt cost too much. I have also thought about crushed kitty litter. Either way drawing the cavities in the box would be alot easier than trying to fill the infill.

I've been messing around and printed a baffle piece like so: 20% infill, straight pattern like triangles in Cura, and then I tell the slicer: no bottom layers. Leaves an open shell I can fill with whatever, and print a solid this piece to glue into the back. So its possible for sure.

I have experience doing this - with a few different types of filler material. Both entirely hollow (a shell to fill with synthetic granite or other substance) and with open-back infill as you describe, which later gets 'filled'. If you use a porous infill (eg gyroid), you can pour from anywhere (gives more flexibility with geometry) just by drilling a hole into your object, and still have great structural integrity and nice bridging of overhangs.

One thing I learned the hard way - epoxy works well as a filler for 3d printed enclosures, but concrete does not, at least with not with PLA. Possibly it could work as a mold. Otherwise, stick to epoxy or other resin, and make sure to do a near full size test piece and let that cure for the maximum curing time the filler requires.

JasonPkenrhodes