Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

painting supplies and process

2»

Comments

• @Shawn_K said:
    Large oil-less compressors get expensive. What do you guys think about the HVLP turbine sprayers made by Fuji Spray and Earlex. I currently finish my woodworking projects with brush on Polyurethane, spray can Lacquer or occasionally water based poly. The brush poly is a lot of work and there are still some brush marks and some unevenness to the finish. The spray can Lacquer is expensive and I would like to try using tinted and colored lacquer which could be sprayed with a spray gun. The Fuji Spray Semi-Pro2 is a 2 stage unit for $439 but they have some 3 and 4 stage units for under $900.

These would also fall i nthe airless category, but i know even less about these - but would go with Brad's comment about the 5 stage ones.

• I think I can find other uses for a compressor, so don't mind going for one.

Is a dedicated Vacuum Pump better or one which uses a compressor to drive one? I am looking ofr continous running ones for veneer and composite layups... this would be another use.

Air-tool i don't have much idea about and haven't used any. What's the CFM requirement for most air tools?

• @ani_101 said:
    Trying to balance between cheap and frustrating and good and expensive is always tricky, especially for things that I have no experience in.

Though I prefer to go for good, rather than cheap, at least I won't have the excuse of "it's not me it's the tool", but then if I don't get the results or something else shiny catches my eye. Plenty of very expensive stuff some sitting in boxes, some maybe used a couple of times...!

You are either all in or not. This hobby is obviously not about saving money... a quick Google search could have easily answered all your questions about separators vs filters vs regulators etc. Geez!

jr@mac
  • I like a dedicated vacuum pump. Spray painting does have a learning curve. I can't remember if it was Eastwood who had a video on spraying painting techniques, I also watch Brain at Paint Society (youtube) for tips and gun reviews.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I have been looking at all types of sprayers.

One thing that stood out as odd was the warnings on the airless sprayers. Most of them are designed for water or oil based products (Says they can only be used with paints that are water based or marked as combustible), cannot be used with paints marked as "Flammable" .

The ones which can be used with "Flammable" paints, needs to be grounded for spraying and for cleaning, they need a metal grounded bucket to spray into.

Is this the norm with HVLP sprayer and turbine sprayer or something special for airless sprayer like the Graco and Wagner airless?

the 2K paints seem to be all Flammable variety...

• Also I need to paint my wooden fence - is there something that can do a double duty to get me started with auto finish as well spray stains and paints from the gallon can directly?

Or I need two different types of sprayers. Need not be the finest thing out there, as this is only for the fence and next the deck - but the area to be covered is large, hence the need to go directly from the bucket - can't go quart containers, just too many refills in between. If this can also get me started on spraying 2k paint - great.

till i can get some experience in spraying 2k and them upgrade to some better equipment.

• I don't know of any setup to do double duty, I believe you will need an airless sprayer setup for the fence, and a compressor and help gun for automotive paint, but I'm no expert.

• I'd do a pump up sprayer for stain on the fence or high nap 6-inch roller for paint. I wouldn't spray a fence without checking with my insurance agent...

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • It's water based patio stain... Any issue with the spraying that I need to worry about?

• A airless spray gun is not the same as a Turbine or compressor style spray gun.

ani_101
  • Trying to understand why the compressor or the turbine type gun won't create the same explosive cloud as the airless one... And the static to ignite it

• Airless sprayers use a electric pump to suck the fluids and pressurize the system. Which means your stuck holding in your hand a 120v of electricity and 3 inches away is cup full of highly explosive paint . Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

ani_101
  • Got a Graco Magnum X5 for the fence... so far seems to be going ok...