Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dual shaft car radio

Long story short , I got my stolen 68 chevy truck back , now the headaches ensue to get it registered back to a 68 and not a 67 . Im posting because my pioneer deck does not put out much sound , very low output , even when the volume is cranked. Im not sure if its from the time its been parked out on the farm or... anywho , looking for a dual shaft deck , I dont care if its cassette deck or just a plain ol dual post radio (AM-FM). I dont want to cut the dash hence the dual post request . If any of you have one laying around hit me up, I appreciate it .

Comments

• P.S. RCA outs would be nice . Thanks gents

• It's good you got your truck back. I haven't seen a dual shaft deck in years! Did you look on Ebay yet?

• With proper dimensions, what if someone designed something that could be printed in nylon to well, put something really nice into that faceplate? thinking outloud

jr@mac
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • A lot of sony decks have a port on the back for a IR repeater this make it so you can hide the deck and just aim at the repeater. you wouldn't need to see the deck just control it with There are also under dash mounts that work really well for jobs like this.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-universal-under-dash-mounting-kit-for-din-radios-black/1244585.p?skuId=1244585&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=464&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268649&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-O35BRDVARIsAJU5mQVja1wUViBhAleOgNxqDIoS8m_B4jnkFj_oQcaR0JK1Qv1nVuJD8GkaAhdKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• @JasonP said:
    With proper dimensions, what if someone designed something that could be printed in nylon to well, put something really nice into that faceplate? thinking outloud

Thanks for the input , didn't think about eBay or pawn shops. What are you thinking JP ? I'm listening.

• edited August 2020

Nice truck, more pics would be ok by me!

Not sure if you want to spend it, but have you looked at Custom Auto Sound?

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1967-1972-chevy-pickup-truck-radio-usa-230.html

• Here is another option from Retro Sound. Doesn’t specify preouts but you could use a LOC. May not sound as nice as that old pioneer but who knows..

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/1967-72-chevrolet-c-k-series-trucks-laguna-radio?rq=yr_1968~mk_chevrolet~md_c-k-series-truck&variant=32867667982

• I bought a Retrosound for my '72. I was not happy with it, performance wise.

In the interim I discovered an unrelated wiring issue that may have played hell with it - so I do plan on looking into getting it back online and see if the weird electrical issues the radio had were resolved with the other repair.

I have a signature.
  • edited August 2020

@jr@mac said:
    I bought a Retrosound for my '72. I was not happy with it, performance wise.

In the interim I discovered an unrelated wiring issue that may have played hell with it - so I do plan on looking into getting it back online and see if the weird electrical issues the radio had were resolved with the other repair.

That’s good to know as I will be in the market for one for a 73 Scout I’m restoring.

Wonder if the Custom Autosound ones sound better?..

• Have you tried cleaning that Pioneers volume pot with deoxit by chance? Might be worth a shot.

• As far as SQ goes, I had a DVC 4x10 just sitting on floor under seat so no opinion on the SQ.

I have a signature.
  • @Nicholas_23 said:

@JasonP said:
    With proper dimensions, what if someone designed something that could be printed in nylon to well, put something really nice into that faceplate? thinking outloud

Thanks for the input , didn't think about eBay or pawn shops. What are you thinking JP ? I'm listening.

It would depend entirely on what you wanted. My first thought is a media player and amp setup with a custom printed metallic faceplate that fits into that dash proper.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • You could go totally surface mount for an iPod type of piece with the whole printed part thing. It could bolt to the dash through the shaft holes.

• Ok thanks for the input guys , Im thinking of pulling the deck and doing a bench test on it. I have a 12v from my icefishing flasher that I should be able to hook up . Maybe its just a bad ground? I will try and bench test it first before moving forward . Keep everyone posted