Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New project - The Dymaxions

2»

Comments

• This is the woofers' in box impedance measurements. I only lightly filled the enclosures with R13 fiberglass. The Qtc (Dats Qts value) is a little higher than what I modeled. I might try stuffing the enclosures a bit more and see if the Q drops. Either way I'm pretty happy to have a Qtc of about 0.72 without a refrig sized box.

ani_101
  • Nice, looks like the Fb of 45Hz or so. Would you be able to block the vent and take a sealed only DATs reading? Interested to see how the measurements change.

• yes, what ani said... thx

• Peak will be larger in magnitude, and likely moved up higher frequency.

ani_101
  • Nice! I just remembered I have a pair of those 10" woofers somewhere on the shelf. Now you just did the modeling & proof of concept work for me - Thanks Craig!!

• Hi Tom. These woofers measured really great both far field and near field in these enclosures. The Wavecor tweeters do as well. I'm having to work a bit harder than normal to tame these midrange domes though. I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

• If it helps....

I recall the DMN-A and DMB-A having similar response properties. A bit of damping at the knees via resistor helps flatten it out.

• Thanks Ben. I kinda stole a couple of ideas from Scott Sehlin's rework of the HiVi 3 ways for the mid, then tweeked them for this slightly different mid. I finished up a prototype crossover this morning that I'm pretty happy with. Very nice on-axis FR, phase tracking, and super benign impedance. I'll let my ears steer this project this point forward.

jholtzrjj45ani_101ScottS
  • The 830668 was going to be the woofer for Indium 7, but PE wanted me to cut costs (It was closer to $70 a few years ago and PE didn't carry the DMB-A back then, only the more expensive DMN-A). In any event, this is a project I will be very interested to hear if we ever get around to getting back together.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Hi Scott. I basically used your circuit topology for the mid and slightly adjusted the values to shape the similar but different driver. Happy to say my prototype xo sports a total of only 12 components, which is pretty low based on my past 3 way projects.

The 830668 woofers are very easy to work with and provide some serious punch and nice lows for such a cost effective 10". I would never hesitate to recommend them. I picked mine up when they were on sale for $50. Not sure the Variovents are even needed. ~ 2 cubic feet, walls lined and lightly stuffed is probably just as good sonically.