Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The problem with measuring impedance...

Just a quick rant, then I'm done. I spent a LOT of money with PE and their Dayton Audio branded WT3/DATS before pulling the plug. Of course, that was before they finally admitted they sold absolute junk etc.

On the other hand, it seems any device used to measure impedance is prone to finicky behavior - I used to rest easy knowing I was only out a few bucks before being pissed off rather than the ass-raping Dayton put me through. They had the gall to want to charge me full price for a functional piece of hardware (in addition to the two $20 upgrade rapes prior to them finally offering a non-assrape piece of hardware), but now I wonder if instability and pained ass is the price we pay?

I think it might be time to splurge on a serious measurement setup. 

Le sigh - back to tinkering. At least this time around I am not cursing $150 worth of mediocre software and complete shit hardware. 

Have a great day!!!
I have a signature.
MzissersonJasonPkennyk

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    Just a quick rant, then I'm done. I spent a LOT of money with PE and their Dayton Audio branded WT3/DATS before pulling the plug. Of course, that was before they finally admitted they sold absolute junk etc.

On the other hand, it seems any device used to measure impedance is prone to finicky behavior - I used to rest easy knowing I was only out a few bucks before being pissed off rather than the ass-raping Dayton put me through. They had the gall to want to charge me full price for a functional piece of hardware (in addition to the two $20 upgrade rapes prior to them finally offering a non-assrape piece of hardware), but now I wonder if instability and pained ass is the price we pay?

I think it might be time to splurge on a serious measurement setup. 

Le sigh - back to tinkering. At least this time around I am not cursing $150 worth of mediocre software and complete shit hardware. 

Have a great day!!!
         There-there. i still use my Smith and Larson WT and it is rock solid. Every software update has been free, too. I check caibration now and again and it is still on from day one. 

Save yourself the headache with the knock offs and grab the real deal. I have met and talked with Keith Larson a few times at DIY showes and via e-mail over the years. He reaponds instantly, and is brilliant. 

One frustrating aspect of the hobby is when it comes to test equipment its either Lab-grade where one requires and endowment to purchase....Or good enough to get good, somewhat shaky, data and hurts to buy but is a necessary evil. 
  • I like the S&L, and until recently I loved my DIY jig using a Behringer UMC202HD. Today, it pulls a Dayton and took foooooooooreveeeeeeer to get to work. First time it happened. 
    I have a signature.
  • So far, i havent had any additional issues with the newest dats. But I am considering an all-in-one rig as i could use something that is more portable as well. 
  • Mzisserson said:
         There-there. i still use my Smith and Larson WT and it is rock solid. Every software update has been free, too. I check caibration now and again and it is still on from day one. 

Save yourself the headache with the knock offs and grab the real deal. I have met and talked with Keith Larson a few times at DIY showes and via e-mail over the years. He reaponds instantly, and is brilliant. 

One frustrating aspect of the hobby is when it comes to test equipment its either Lab-grade where one requires and endowment to purchase....Or good enough to get good, somewhat shaky, data and hurts to buy but is a necessary evil. 
    I have been thinking about getting a DATS - maybe the Woofer Tester would be a better option? Would probably end up being about $50 - 60 more than the DATS for me(CDN eh).
  • Mzisserson said:

I have been thinking about getting a DATS - maybe the Woofer Tester would be a better option? Would probably end up being about $50 - 60 more than the DATS for me(CDN eh).
    Full disclosure: I have never used the DATS. I have just seen many suffer.

From expirence, the WT 2 had been rock solid and glitch free for the better part of 10+ years for me. if you have questions, just ask on their site, Keith usually gets back right away and is always helpful. The WT 2 would likely be a nice buy-once, cry-once soultion for you. 

JR, any pics of your setup? sounds neat. Just bein' a nosy nerd. 
  • DATS is great.  Been using the piece I got when testing the beta way back.  Works the same time every time as long as you get it set up in Windows correctly.
  • DATS has been working finr for me too. Except for the pair of Eminence Lab15-6 that I have. DATS just refuses to measure it. I can immediately measure a driver before it and after it, but for both the Labs, it says the resonance was too low or something like that...
  • Is this when you are measuring for Vas?
  • not just Vas, the basic TS params too... just can't get it to work for the Labs.
  • Odd. Ive had no problem measuring any driver. Fwiw, all of the lab15s i have tested (8? Now) have met specs very well. Actually, all of the Eminence drivers have matched well.
  • thanks, I will just go with the eminence specs then for the box modelling. I don't find anything wrong with the drivers - they do need a bit of power though and does play music when hooked up free air.
  • I used the lab15 4s in a recent build. 4 cubes at 28hz. Flat in room from 30 to 100. No eq. On 750w each i was maxing out the omnimic from 3m
  • Well, figured out the Behringer was nothing more than noisy. I think internal power supply filtering failed, so I chucked it. It was poor sound quality for anything but headphones to begin with - and that also went south.

Ordered a Creative X-Fi, see how that goes. I found some modifications for it on-line that involve adding a few caps to the filtering to reduce the noise floor even further. I will probably see how it goes out of the box before attempting those mods. 
    Mzisserson
    I have a signature.
  • OK, so it isn't an X-Fi, it is something called the Soundblaster SBX PROSTUDIO", model SB1095. 

Installed using default Win7 drivers and I was up and running in a few minutes. 
    Mzisserson
    I have a signature.