Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival woofers

edited September 2020 in DIY

Any interest in these?
8-3/4'' Kevlar infused coated paper $74.40 ea

5.5'' Kevlar infused paper $64.35 ea

Comments

• Thinking you attached the wrong dimensional drawing... 152 mm OD would not be a 8-3/4" driver :)

• @PWRRYD said:
    Thinking you attached the wrong dimensional drawing... 152 mm OD would not be a 8-3/4" driver :)

That's because it's not 8-3/4''. It's 5.5''

• edited September 2020

Oops! I didn't catch that you were showing two different drivers. Sorry about that.

Gowa
  • Interest as in you have these or might be able to get them?

• I'm trying to sell the 7'' paper drivers before investing $ in others. But yes, I'm looking at getting some as I just found out they are available.

• PK FTW!

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel said:
    PK FTW!

Huh?

• Paper Kevlar For The Win.

I have a signature.
  • JR got it :)

Mine are collecting dust unfortunately, projects for next year...

rjj45Gowa
  • @Gowa said:
    I'm trying to sell the 7'' paper drivers before investing $ in others. But yes, I'm looking at getting some as I just found out they are available.

Well, let me know when you decide. May or may not have the $ by then. How do these spec out compared to the rs225?

• @Kornbread said:

@Gowa said:
    I'm trying to sell the 7'' paper drivers before investing $ in others. But yes, I'm looking at getting some as I just found out they are available.

Well, let me know when you decide. May or may not have the $ by then. How do these spec out compared to the rs225?

The RS225P-8A is a pretty nice driver at low cost. It has more x-max and slightly lower fs than the Rival. The Rival is vented under the spider, copper pole cap, and demodulation ring. If I remember correctly, the Rival has fs of about 33-34 Hz with spl of about the same as the Dayton.

• How do they compare in sound considering this will probably be paired with a large dome tweeter?

• I haven't heard the Daytons.

• edited September 2020

Go with Rival, way more "cool factor" than Dayton :)

PWRRYD
  • I'd like a little more bottom end from the dayton towers and thought about getting a quad of the TB w8-2096b 8". The ones with the giant plastic basket and quite a bit of xmax. They should drop right in place of the rs225p and it's active, so some fiddling with the minidsp would be necessary. Have not modeled the box yet. That would leave some 8inchers to mate with the wavecor two30. Guess it's all a pipe dream at this point as time off work is at a premium.

• Be aware the specs do not match. You can find my T/S over on PETT somewhere I'm sure...

• May have to dig those up. IIRC, the specs didn't match but the model came out about the same?

• Specs between them were even a bit off, but the model came out similar, yes. It seems the TB underhung drivers really have trouble meeting factory specs, as none of them really do.