Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (5)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Powered subwoofer potential build (theoretical as I currently lack the funds to procure proper amp)

So I bought some of those Arial Acoustics 10" subwoofers back in March or so. I have spent some time off and on modeling them using supplied specs (my measurement gear is still packed up, how sad is that?).

Anyways, here are the supplied specs:

Qe: 0.37
Qm: 7.02
Qt: 0.35
Re: 7.16
Fs: 29
Vas: 36.25L
Xmax: 13mm

So, in a sealed 1 cubic foot enclosure, two of them in parallel with a 500W amp utilizing 6db of boost centered at 30Hz yields an F3 of ~32 Hz, F6 of ~28Hz, and SPL of 106db @29Hz. This is with a 4th order 80Hz low pass applied. Xmax is right at limits. I have four of these drivers, so I could potentially build a pair of these.

I do not currently have amplification of this level, nor am I positive I would actually ever listen at 106+ db for any reason unless showing off at a DIY event. 75-80db is definitely my style these days but it is fun to model drivers to their limits. Due to my listening habits, I could probably be very happy with the Yung 300W amp with boost.

I really do not see the point in pushing 10" drivers much into the sub-30Hz territory as far as that goes, but a largish, vented, EBS style alignment would yield some pretty low bass if someone wanted to go that route.

Anyways, I find myself with some time on my hands so am trying to get motivated to build something this week. Maybe I will at least build the cabinets for these and see if I can horse-trade my way into a pair of the Yung amps.

I have a signature.

Comments

• Sounds really cool, but where would the smoke exit from it at a show with no port? Restraint with the volume control......come on.

jr@macDanP