Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DATS Inductor Measurements

2»

Comments

• If you trust your measuring of frequency response, your as measured with inductor should over lay your simulation of the before measurement with inductor (and DCR) values.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I'm thinking the PE coils generally show a little > @Gowa said:

Not sure what to do at this point. I have some coils to measure but don't know what to trust. Why would DATS have that option if it doesn't work or am I missing something?

Don't you have REW on your computer?

• I don't think I have ever purchased any Erse inductors. Just Dayton, Jantzen, and Madisound Sledge Hammers. I also wind some of my own.

• I've used a lot of Erse over the years, used to be the value proposition ordering direct from them. I think they lost interest in selling direct, though.

I have a signature.
  • edited December 2020

I just measured a Solen 0.40mH, 16awg and got 0.3943 mH
    I'm not sure why I have 10,000 ohms and not a 1,000-ohm test resistor. Hmm

• Did you download the wrong version of DATS? That could be part of the problem.

• Could you post a screen shot of your measurements?

• @kenrhodes said:
    Did you download the wrong version of DATS? That could be part of the problem.

I use the disk that came with it.

• edited December 2020

@jhollander said:
    I find a lot of Erse that are so far off I think they could be mislabeled. I have yet to find a manufactured coil that measured low.

That's strange. All the Erse coils we've measured were within like 1% of the advertised values. Although we have had problems getting the wrong Erse coils from PE where they were sending us 1.3 mH 18 gauge instead of 0.3 mH 14 gauge. They are roughly the same size but clearly not the same when looking at the wire.

• It's been several years , but I remember the 19 gage laminated bar and the bobbin wound were high.

• Here's another weird one.
    Operating System = Windows 10

I installed the upgrade over the existing V2 software, but it didn’t work.

I uninstalled the original V2 software and installed the upgrade but that didn’t work either.

When I launch the V2 with the upgrade, it opens and then closes on its own.

• I have to run mine as an admistator. If I don't , it opens and closes like yours is doing.

• It is very strange that it measures my 1kohm as 10,000 ohms.

• On my windows 10 machine under System, Sound, Input (microphone (2- USB Audio Codec)) Device properties; I have to run the Volume at 54. There was a link with a fix over on PETT. The main thing to look for is the straight line on the resistivity measurement.

• Just when I was thinking that maybe I should get a DATS. Sheesh, continued software problems. LIMP has never failed me.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Same thought here. I'll stick with LIMP & my little metal box with a resistor, some jacks and a switch on it. It's sure not pretty, but it works.

• It seems that Dayton uses its customers as R&D.
    Not sure what to do at this point. I'm certainly not spending more money on this crap from True Audio.

• @Gowa said:
    It seems that Dayton uses its customers as R&D.
    Not sure what to do at this point. I'm certainly not spending more money on this crap from True Audio.

I agree with you on that one.

• I've used the DATS V2 for years w/o a single hiccup. But I'm running Win 7 on my measurement laptop. I think a significant number of the DATS problems are caused by Win 10 and its frequent, often buggy, updates.

• I've had issues with dats/v2 on windoz8.1. When measuring, it randomly causes the computer to reboot.

• I could never keep Win 8 from locking up when I opened a folder. I though it was the desktop machine I built. Ran like a champ when they came out with Win 10.

• Agree, my DATS V2 works great, other than that software crash I caused recently. Reloaded software and was back in business. All electronics have expected failures. I wouldn't have a job if they didn't.