Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tweeter Suggestions for Dayton RS180P-8

2»

Comments

• I think that if their stuff was priced 1/3 to 1/5 of what it is, everyone would look at Bose products differently. Their stuff is just horribly over priced, but more power to them, it sells. Dr Bose was flawed in his audio theory, but was a marketing genius.

rjj45
  • Well ... from a business perspective, Bose is doing something right.

• Consider that if Bose cut their costs, 6thplanet's job would either be moved overseas or the repair department just wouldn't exist at all because Bose would cut their excellent support out of the picture to improve margins.

Billet
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • That's bad, I've already forgotten all the websites used for measuring company financials. Anyway, they are a worldwide corporation with annual sales of ~4billion. Not bad for an audio based company founded in 1964, especially considering the short life of most audio based companies.
    Everyone knows Bose. Not saying I like their products, but their business decisions are ... sound.

rjj45
  • @6thplanet said:
    Oh and a couple of those soundbar tweets are in a nifty waveguide that aims the sound.

Can I buy some for S & G?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Kornbread said:

>

Everyone knows Bose. Not saying I like their products, but their business decisions are ... sound.

What a pun!

I suppose Bose is like other products where the brand name has become generic: 'Hoover', 'Biro' , 'Transit'.

Going back to the post, it looks like I'll need to use SB Acoustics or wait until the DA25 becomes available again, if that's acceptable.

Thank you all for your ideas and comments!

Geoff

• Sorry to derail this thread with more Bose talk, just noticed the ASR review of what I feel is their most popular product:
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bose-quietcomfort-35-ii-review-noise-cancelling-headphone.20584/

Not bad, all things considered.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited February 2021

Geoff
    104mm faceplates:
    BC25TG15-04 SB29SDAC
    100mm faceplates.
    SB26STAC or SB26ADC

All measure great. I have used the bold ones and think they are great value. But the bargain winner is the Peerless/Tymphany BC25TG15-04
    AUD $20

• edited February 2021

@tktran said:
    But the bargain winner is the Peerless/Tymphany BC25TG15-04
    AUD $20

Thanks, I have a pair of those in my stash, have used them in three projects and it's fine in those. It's a very good tweeter especially for the $ damage, but not quite up to the quality of the RS180P. It's worth seeing how they might work together, but I was trying to keep them for spares.

The BC25TG18-04 - pretty much the same tweeter - is available here at $30, the 15-04 is only available from the US and the post is a killer, unfortunately.

It was interesting to look at the test measurements, I hadn't seen them before.

Cheers

Geoff

• I'm not sure what they cost in your part of the world, but I really like the sound of Seas 27TDFC tweeters. I have a pair for an RS180S TMM build that I'll get to eventually.

• edited March 2021

@jhollander said:

@6thplanet said:
    Oh and a couple of those soundbar tweets are in a nifty waveguide that aims the sound.

Can I buy some for S & G?

Unfortunately no, unless you buy one of their sound bars and tear into it😛
    Snapped a couple pics...

• That is cool. Is that some sort of cloth/ grill/ diffuser? Is that C shaped recess do anything like a port?

• @Jim85IROC said:
    I'm not sure what they cost in your part of the world, but I really like the sound of Seas 27TDFC tweeters.

Unfortunately they're n/a locally, and about A$55 plus post from the US or $65 plus lower post from the UK.

Thanks for the suggestion: I've seen them used in various projects and they look pretty good.

Geoff

• No port, just part of the internal guide. Think of it like this...

• Sorry for the hijack, inquiring minds etc...might have to do some development

6thplanetBillet
  • @GeoffMillar what tweeter did you end up using? I'm looking at building a 5.1 for someone and am considering using the RS180P

• edited March 2021

It's on hold until I can get the Peerless as we really like their sound, but here's the project from which I got the inspiration; it uses the Vifa DX25BG60 and the RS180P. It looked like I could use the Peerless with minimal crossover changes, although of course it would sound different:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1405367-indiyana-build-supernova-minimus

The DX25 is by all accounts marvellous, but it's also over budget.

I could always borrow the Peerless tweeters from Craig's two way and do a test crossover/build but I'm being lazy, our friend can wait.

HTH

Geoff

squamishdroc
  • I know I'm late to the party, but if that SB26ADC is available at a reasonable price, it is an outstanding tweeter, Very low distortion, can cross quite low, high power handling. Sounds great.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • @JasonP said:
    I know I'm late to the party, but if that SB26ADC is available at a reasonable price, it is an outstanding tweeter, Very low distortion, can cross quite low, high power handling. Sounds great.

Thanks Jason, unfortunately that tweeter is A$70; we'll just have to be patient!

Geoff