Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

OT 1997 Acura cooling issues

You guys can remove , recently started the Acura with a 2.2 Vtec and noticed after idling for 30 minutes or so ( glad I caught it ) the temp gauge climbed to the red but didnt quite get there , shut it down. Googled and checked for operational fans , check , both turn on when the AC is on. There is no milky shit on the oil ( head gasket ) over flow tank is where it should be . I have both heat and AC , so I believe the t stat is working . The only thing I can think of is the temp sensor . What do you guys think?

Comments

• If the thermostat sticks open the heater is slow to warm and once underway it generally drops in temp along with the engine temp. Do you see any wet spots under the car where the water pump weep hole might have left a mark? It doesn't have to be a lot of fluid. Radiator could need 'rodded'. Radiator/condenser airflow blocked by debris.

• I was gonna say blockage, just happened on my '01 ram and was unnoticeably blowing out upper and lower radiator hoses....

• Doubt it would over heat if the tstat is open. Just because you have a/c doesn't mean the tstat isn't stuck closed. Are the fans kicking on with out the AC on, when it starts to get hot? Sure sounds like stuck closed tstat

• Sounds like a defective thermostat to me too. It's a cheap replacement.
    Also, make sure the hoses from reserve tank are not clogged up. I would check the level of coolant in the radiator too.

• Thanks for the input guys. I havent noticed any leaking fluid , things are starting to thaw in the driveway so can say for sure but I do not smell any antifreeze. The front of the radiator is clean so there is no restrictions there.I noticed the passenger side fan does kick in but not the drivers with the AC off , with the AC on both fans kick in. After reading all this I went to the parts store and grabbed a tstat with gaskets and a new sensor ( they gave me the wrong sensor ) so I will start with those parts and see where she goes. Hope its not the water pump uuuugghh.

• Check the codes to see if has anything meaningful. There is also a resistance check across the temp sensor IIRC. Not likely the issue if it's moving. Thermostat swap out on my 96 accord was easy.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Might want to bleed the system, an air pocket can cause it to get hot, and look as though the coolant is full.