Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• Thanks Mike! 

Ordered! Data to come. 

p.s. Please don't post this shit. I cannot un-know and would kick myself forever if I didn't take advantage of this upgrade to one of my fav. all-time tweets. So the less I know, the better! Specially at the holidays! 
  • Yeah, looks like that combo would make a pretty killer kit. Wish I had the $300 at the moment, but my wife would shoot me.
    I have a signature.
  • I went with just the tweets. The 2604 is an all time fav. like beefed up DX25
  • Since it appears the magnet has been cleaned, I wonder what the original label said...as far as which OEM these were originally for.
  • Face said:
    Since it appears the magnet has been cleaned, I wonder what the original label said...as far as which OEM these were originally for.
    I was wondering that myself. Their loss! 

For Scan to "special edition" them, it must have been quite a few.
  • DX25ish? or something else?
  • Looks remarkably like the plastic faceplate SVS tweeters I just sold to JP. 

I am not familiar with the 2604 - does the catalog model have the rear chamber?
    I have a signature.
  • Not familiar with either the tweeter or the mid woofer. How good is it and what improvement does the titanium former bring? Any designs/builds with the 2604 or commercial speakers?
    kennyk
  • 2604 has a good size chamber. it also has a copper cap, and the damping foam under the voice coil assy. that Scan-speak stuff they use. 

It is a lot like or the same as a DX25, only its hot-rodded out. They can cross VERY low, too. the 2604/833000 is a monster and IMVHO, I am unsure why the RS28 gets more attention than it. No knock aganst the Rs28, awesome tweeter and proven preformer. 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-soft-dome-tweeters/scanspeak-discovery-d2604/833000-1-dome-tweeter/

FaceJasonP
  • Crap. posted too soon. I have used the 2604 in several builds. Totem.use to use them too. some other PETT builds, too.

They pop up now and again comercially, but in pics its hard to tell between it and the illiminators.

Ti bobbins are extremely light weight, and rigid AF.  

I guss why I het a bonah' over it is because it gives some real "high end" performance for a mid-prices tweet, and is extremely flexable and simple to use. Takes a beating too. 

Used it in a 7" MTM crossed at 1600 3rd order for a dedicated theater driven by a QSC 300WPC amp and the thing takes it with ease at theater volumes. Been at it for 3 years too! 

...and unlike most Dayton drivers, the sensitivity is real, too.

YMMV. Just my own thoughts on them. once I get then tweets, Ill measure and post,Ill dissect.one too.....Carefully...
  • Thanks Mike. I look forward to your measurements and opinion. I will look up sone builds with this tweeter.

Regards
    Ani
  • Thanks Mike.  Even with the titanium bobbin the 832002 has a higher Mms, than the 833000.  It is just one part of the design though and I do not know how .08 g will have much effect.  Looking at the Qes the 832002 may have a stronger motor though.  
  • How much importance do you give to Xmax on tweeters.  I was comparing the two Scan DX25 tweeters to the HDS tweeter T/S parameters as well.
  • Thanks Mike.  Even with the titanium bobbin the 832002 has a higher Mms, than the 833000.  It is just one part of the design though and I do not know how .08 g will have much effect.  Looking at the Qes the 832002 may have a stronger motor though.  
    Hi Mitchell. 

it has lower inductence and a stronger motor. What is interesting to me is the fr response and the lowe Le. this thing is likely going to measure like a revelator or illuminator.....Or close to. I hope. 

As for X-max, it still has very low linear range. All tweeters do. As soon as you inteoduce asymmetry into that gap, even if the coil is still saturated, eddys flow and distrtion happens. Heck, even the best woofers "suck" once they start moving. 

I look at a tweeter with good x-max as one of those trade-offs for being able to cross low. it will remain *more* linear, longer, and not distort due to mechanical stresses which are the worst audible kind.