Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

SMPS vs Linear Power Supply

edited May 26 in DIY

I have one of the 400x2 t-amps, #aa-ab32313, that PE use to sell. Currently using a way under powered 24v 350w meanwell smps, but looking to upgrade the power supply and encase everything into a real amp like thingy.
Price wise, there's maybe $40 difference in $ from a meanwell smps to an Antek linear power supply. I like the way the amp sounds but wondering if it's worth it to go with the linear supply?

Doing a little more digging, it looks like an Antek linear power supply may be a little cheaper. Guess that settles that.

Comments

• edited May 26

Most competent regulated SMPS supplies will have far less ripple and less 60Hz hum leaking through than a comparable unregulated linear supply. The benefit of the linear supply is long term reliability from far fewer potential points of failure.

The meanwell probably isn't a very high grade supply though, so it may still have plenty of switching noise coming out of it. With any luck switching frequency is above audio band. Not all SMPS are created equal.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited May 27

This is the Antek. I assume this is unregulated? Quality? https://ebay.com/itm/253106744498?hash=item3aee566cb2:g:ghIAAOSw1ZBUx97b

It has that silly 10% distortion @400 watts measurements, but a more reasonable 230 watts @1% distortion. Says it's 90% efficient but who knows. To be on the plenty side, am I right in thinking 800w should be about right? 600 watt is quite a bit cheaper. The smps600 and 800rs should work, but read a bad review or two. Are they ok?

• Unregulated = transformer -> rectifier -> capacitors, that's it. Most high power linear supplies are unregulated due to the amount of power loss as heat that is required to regulate the low frequency ripple at high current.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.