Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Now listening to: MCM KB 6.5" + Vifa XT25 (made in Denmark version)

The MCM woofer is pretty legit - once I hammered it into submission. The advertised charts are not, shall we say, entirely accurate. 

However, the motor itself lives up to the ad copy. Lots of clean throw, pretty low distortion through the passband. Just some erratic response issues above 2K will limit it to 1500 or lower if you want to do a more traditional two element crossover. 

Mitchell - if you are reading this, I should have a crossover finalized before too much longer. Was fun dragging that old Vifa tweeter out of storage :)
I have a signature.
MzissersonJasonP

Comments

• Cool.  Thanks much JR. 
  • Is this the 55-5665?
  • Yeppers
    I have a signature.
  • Coupla' q's about your impressions. 

1. Do you think in a tower with a 12"Pr or ported 30Hz in room at decent levels is a realistc expectation without having to under-tune the hell out of them.

2. Does it seem the real-world x-max is as specified? 

3. How is there apparent transient response as compared to a Scan Discovery, Seas Prestige, or entry morel (This is one of the many areas I feel the Dayton RS falls short). 

Yes, they are your impressions, MMMV, but I trust your impressions. Once everything is in a box movin' and shakin' I have seen drivers that measure oretty good fall falt.
  • 1. No, will not play that low in any kind of traditional alignment. Low 40's, perhaps. 

2. There are very few drivers at any price that exhibit "real world xmax as specified". Most do not have any control over the bottom end. These seem to fare better than most, however. Perusing a lot of the Klippel data that is available out there, realistically 60-70% of advertised across all price levels of the vast majority of drivers out there seems to be a good rule of thumb.  

3. In my opinion, it ain't too hard to beat up on most Morel drivers ;) Seriously though, these drivers are juuuuust fine.  
    MzissersonJasonPkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • I forget our tenure lol.   The older morel have been built more stout. Thanks for the details man. 
  • Mirchell, if you got your ears on, I have a crossover ready for you. Email me or PM me - I am putting together the documentation this afternoon. 
    I have a signature.
  • PM sent.  Thanks
  • Sent you a download link. 
    I have a signature.
  • Care to share the crossover?????
  • Im giving the owner first dibs. 
    I have a signature.
  • Wow.  Looks like you did a great deal of work.   I will peck away at getting this built after January 1st. 

I am fine with you posting the crossover/write up JR.  The DIY community has been very generous to me so if your OK with it so am I.

Thanks again.
  • Info
    greywardenMzisserson
    I have a signature.
  • I want to hear those things.